1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another question. Heehee.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cheri, May 18, 2007.

1. Cheri

Cheri Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    How many times should I feed the cockerals outside? I feed them early in the morning (hoping to hear one crow) and they act like they are starving! should I feed them at night before we go to bed?

2. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    You should have food available for them 24/7. Unless they are meat birds, they will not overeat.

3. Cheri

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    When I did that, they wasted a lot of food. I got them a feeder. I also go get them weeds and worms and stuff. (not all the time but as a snack). Ok I will make sure they have it all the time. We are working on getting the coop into the garden so they can finally get out in the yard. I have 3 big dogs that Im scared to let near my chickens so I have to reinforce the fence.

ps. What are meat birds?

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  4. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Meat birds are Cornish or Cornish Crosses that are raised for eating. They reach their optium weight at around 6 weeks old. If you do not restrict their food they will eat themselves to death (they get heart and other problems associated with weight).

5. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    Cheri: Raising the feeder up higher should help decrease waste. Make then the same height as the smallest ones back.

6. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    Cheri, since I got mine a hanging feeder, there has been 0 waste. None. I laughed at Hot Rod the other day; she was trying to stick her foot up in there to scratch the food, but it kept swinging away from her.

7. Cheri

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    Ok I will check into that. I have now cut my flock down by four. I found homes for 4 cockerals. I kept two possibly three. Im still not sure what that one is.

Quote:Aha. I just got RIR's Ancona's and one Leghorn.

Last edited: May 19, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by