Another question- roost, in relation to nest boxes?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by xapikleia, Feb 1, 2009.

1. xapikleia

xapikleia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2009
    So Cal Suburbs
    We're planning on using an old wooden electronic cabinet as a small coop. It's 3.5'x2'x1.5x. Where do we put the roost, and where do we put the boxes? This is for 3 bantams and a Japanese.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    That's small, but in my 8X12 we have roosts on one side, next boxes on the opposite.

3. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Not sure may be to small, not tall enough

4. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    I agree, even with small birds it seems too small. This sounds like it may be able to be divided so that it can be turned into one or two nest boxes but it sounds quite small and narrow for being an entire coop. Could you place this box inside one of those Rubbermaid Sheds that you can buy at the hardware store? Or possibly build something around this unit so they can have areas for food, water, nesting and roosting?

5. xapikleia

xapikleia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2009
    So Cal Suburbs
    We decided not to use it. We were trying to rig it for nesting boxes, inside of a coop DH made out of shipping pallets, but it's a few inches too wide. No biggie, really; we were just trying to be creative! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by