Another question, this time about color

kyle7630

Songster
11 Years
Aug 14, 2008
Semora NC
I have a pied hen, a pearl(dominant) roo, and two lavendar or slate( the really light blue ones) roos. What color will the keets grow to be if they hatch???

Depends on which male breeds her. I'm assuming she is pied pearl? And do the really light males have dots or no dots?

Quote:
Yeah, she is pied pearl. The two light males, one has prominant dots, the other is a little deeper in color with very faint dots. Will the hen mate with them all? I have a dominant chicken roo but I see the other chicken roo having his fair share of time with the chicken hens too. Are guineas similar, or do they pair and that's it? TIA

One male will "claim her" as his (or thinks he has) and defend her, keeping the others away from her, but she may let the others breed her if her male isn't paying attention, lol.

If she breeds with the regular pearl male your babies will be pied pearl greys and regular pearl greys, (should be about 50/50) and maybe another color or 2 could pop up if they are both carrying any recessive genes.

With her pearl grey coloring being dominant over the other 2 light males' colors, most of the babies will be pied pearl greys like her, maybe a few regular pearls, maybe a few pieds and colors of the males... It really depends on what everybody is carrying in their genetic background (and which eggs actually hatch!), but yah, pearl grey is dominant so I'd expect most of the keets to be pied pearl greys like her or regular pearl greys.

If you can post pics of the 2 light males I might be able to tell you what they are, if you want to ID them.

Quote:
Thanks for the help! I will take a couple pics and try to post them. My pic posting abilities are limited though because internet in the boonies is so-o-o-o- Slow

Back
Top Bottom