Another question toward Crele - pg2

walkswithdog

Crowing
14 Years
Jul 17, 2008
DC Region
I'm not understanding crele as a color. Pictures would be hugely helpful. Is a golden cuckoo marans a crele bird? Pictures of this is CRELE and this IS NOT, would be lovely. I'm an addict - enable me. LOL

Given the colors of Rocks - can you start with a barred rock and work toward crele and how?

I need the genetics table links you guys have as well - new computer and lost the old ones.

I just find all this stuff so darn fascinating.

Last edited:
true crele is a barred b.b. red. a golden cuckoo maran looks very similar (especially in males) but it is the barring gene on the birchen coloration ( believe those are called coppers in marans??)

Barred on BB Red. There is no B B R rock. So to go insane and make a crele rock I'd have to first introduce something single combed and B B R? Now I wish I knew more about other breeds. Because I've no idea what breed would work in that scenario. Anyone?

Sounds like that sucker would take a ton of pens and a ton of work.
Be a pretty bird though, they all are.

Looks like I'll stick with Barreds and Partridge and maybe blues. At least that way I'll get some very weird blue barred and blue partridge, which should be way out enough in the long run. I need more pens.

I'll get my almost crele fix from golden cuckoo marans I think. They just make me drool.

Quote:
That's not a true crele. It doesn't have the duckwing. It's a barred gold birchen or a leaky black with barring. Crele chicks always hatch out with the classic chimpunk stripes of red duckwings/black breasted reds.. with a fuzzy white headspot. That cochin either hatched out black or black with a brown face most likely.

Quote:
Yeah unfortunately. You can achieve an 'almost crele' using barred and partridge.. still, they would look 'different' from creles and the hens probably will look strange.

Now I wish I knew more about other breeds. Because I've no idea what breed would work in that scenario. Anyone?

Practically any breed with BBR will be relatively easy. Just outcross to a bird with barring then repeat crosses to pure BBR until the the bird is pure for BBR pattern plus the barring.. presto!

Crele seems to be by far most commonly found in OEG(B).

p.s. looks like I may have misread that question. I couldn't help with what breeds to use for introducing BBR into Rocks, sorry.

Looks like I'll stick with Barreds and Partridge and maybe blues. At least that way I'll get some very weird blue barred and blue partridge, which should be way out enough in the long run. I need more pens.

Have seen blue partridges before, they are beautiful birds.

I'll get my almost crele fix from golden cuckoo marans I think. They just make me drool.

Can get even more Crele looking roosters by combining barring with wheaten. Wheaten and BBR roosters typically look extremely similar.. hens are quite different looking of course. The barring often is hard to see on wheaten hens, sometimes the only thing is a slight lightening of the tail.. and/or a single bar on some of the darker colored hackle feathers.​

Last edited:
Here is a picture of a OEGB Crele Rooster
18999_creleoegc.jpg

Okay yeah, I REALLY LIKE CRELE!!!

And thank you all for the help. This really is way too much fun. How does anyone stay under a hundred chickens???

Quote:
your guess is as good as mine...i keep trying to get under the 200 mark...no luck yet
roll.png

i'm trying to think of a larger bodied stocky breed that would work well with your barred rocks....most of what i'm coming up with are partridge, not b.b. red. while a partridge-barred male would look nearly completely crele, the hens would be an entirely different story.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom