1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another question toward Crele - pg2

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by walkswithdog, Jan 22, 2009.

1. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I'm not understanding crele as a color. Pictures would be hugely helpful. Is a golden cuckoo marans a crele bird? Pictures of this is CRELE and this IS NOT, would be lovely. I'm an addict - enable me. LOL

Given the colors of Rocks - can you start with a barred rock and work toward crele and how?

I need the genetics table links you guys have as well - new computer and lost the old ones.

I just find all this stuff so darn fascinating.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  2. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    true crele is a barred b.b. red. a golden cuckoo maran looks very similar (especially in males) but it is the barring gene on the birchen coloration ( believe those are called coppers in marans??)

3. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Barred on BB Red. There is no B B R rock. So to go insane and make a crele rock I'd have to first introduce something single combed and B B R? Now I wish I knew more about other breeds. Because I've no idea what breed would work in that scenario. Anyone?

Sounds like that sucker would take a ton of pens and a ton of work.
    Be a pretty bird though, they all are.

Looks like I'll stick with Barreds and Partridge and maybe blues. At least that way I'll get some very weird blue barred and blue partridge, which should be way out enough in the long run. I need more pens.

I'll get my almost crele fix from golden cuckoo marans I think. They just make me drool.

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
  5. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Quote:That's not a true crele. It doesn't have the duckwing. It's a barred gold birchen or a leaky black with barring. Crele chicks always hatch out with the classic chimpunk stripes of red duckwings/black breasted reds.. with a fuzzy white headspot. That cochin either hatched out black or black with a brown face most likely.

6. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Quote:Yeah unfortunately. You can achieve an 'almost crele' using barred and partridge.. still, they would look 'different' from creles and the hens probably will look strange.

Now I wish I knew more about other breeds. Because I've no idea what breed would work in that scenario. Anyone?

Practically any breed with BBR will be relatively easy. Just outcross to a bird with barring then repeat crosses to pure BBR until the the bird is pure for BBR pattern plus the barring.. presto!

Crele seems to be by far most commonly found in OEG(B).

p.s. looks like I may have misread that question. I couldn't help with what breeds to use for introducing BBR into Rocks, sorry.

Looks like I'll stick with Barreds and Partridge and maybe blues. At least that way I'll get some very weird blue barred and blue partridge, which should be way out enough in the long run. I need more pens.

Have seen blue partridges before, they are beautiful birds.

I'll get my almost crele fix from golden cuckoo marans I think. They just make me drool.

Can get even more Crele looking roosters by combining barring with wheaten. Wheaten and BBR roosters typically look extremely similar.. hens are quite different looking of course. The barring often is hard to see on wheaten hens, sometimes the only thing is a slight lightening of the tail.. and/or a single bar on some of the darker colored hackle feathers.​

7. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Here is a picture of a OEGB Crele Rooster
    [​IMG]

8. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
  9. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Okay yeah, I REALLY LIKE CRELE!!!

And thank you all for the help. This really is way too much fun. How does anyone stay under a hundred chickens???

10. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    Quote:your guess is as good as mine...i keep trying to get under the 200 mark...no luck yet [​IMG]

i'm trying to think of a larger bodied stocky breed that would work well with your barred rocks....most of what i'm coming up with are partridge, not b.b. red. while a partridge-barred male would look nearly completely crele, the hens would be an entirely different story.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by