Another question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by vortec, Jan 31, 2009.

1. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Another question and probably not the last that you will hear from me. I am completely new to chickens so I need to know a lot.

I am looking at possibly getting a rooster that is around 20 weeks old. I also plan to order chicks in the next week or two through mcmurray. Is it alright to let the chicks out in the same coop with the 20 week old barred rock when they are out of the brooder or not? Seems to me like the size difference could be an issue. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

vortec

2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I wouldn't let newly hatched chicks in the run with a mature roo. I might with some breeds if it was the daddy (cochins, silkies), but in most instances, I would not. Not until they were very well started/grown.

Why not just order a male chick with the chick order so that they'll be the same age?

3. vortec

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    That does make more sense. If there was no problem with it I might have considered it but I could see where there might be a problem with that setup. Thanks!

vortec

4. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Where are you ordering from? If you order from Ideal (and don't care the breed), they'll include free "packing peanuts" (male chicks) for warmth, anyway so they'd be free, too. [​IMG]

5. vortec

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Quote:I was looking at mcmurray but that sounds interesting. I have read of a lot of people on here using ideal so let me check them out and do a little research. Thanks again!

vortec

6. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    McMurray is a bit pricier, but I've never ordered from them so cannot speak for their quality.

Ideal is cheaper and if you don't care about standard of perfection or plan to show the birds, it's all good. [​IMG] Plus they require a $ limit, not a chick limit of 25. It's super easy to reach their dollar limit. (I think it's $20 right now, may be $25.)

Fellow N.C'er [​IMG]

7. vortec

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Quote:You are right about ideal. From what I can tell from first glance, it looks cheaper and they have a great selection. Thanks a bunch for putting me on to it.

vortec

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. My brother got his 50 chicks, straight run mixed flock from McMurray. He didn't have any problems and they all were healthy. All of my birds have come from Ideal. I wanted all RIR pullets. Out of my 20 chicks, one turned out to be a Roo and one was sick upon arrival and died at 4 days old. I will order from Ideal again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by