Another question?????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Micki21965, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Micki21965

Micki21965 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2012
    Channahon, Illinois
    This is about antibiotics and eggs. I had my flock on Tylan for 5 days and was wondering how long before you can eat the eggs? My standard flock is all ok. Still having a few issues with my bantams. I have tried to look it up but (maybe it's just me) couldn't really find any solid information. Please any info would be appriciated again, and thanks to all that have helped with my questions. [​IMG]

2. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    I'm not sure how long it would take for the drugs to clear their system, but once it does, I'd wait about 5 days before eating the eggs. That might be conservative but I'd rather be safe than sorry. It takes between 21 and 36 hours for the egg to travel from beginning to end and at any given time, there are probably about 5 eggs "in process". So, any eggs laid after 5 days would have been "started" after the drugs are out of the chicken's system.

1 person likes this.
  3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I have an antibiotic here with Tylosin Tartrate as ingredient (I just checked and it's Tylosin Phosphate in Tylan) and it advices not to "slaughter poultry for human consumption within 7 days of treatment" Nothing about eggs though. But I'm guessing it has a withdrawal period of 7 days, during which some of it will end up in their eggs as well. Hope this helped!

1 person likes this.
  4. Micki21965

Micki21965 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2012
    Channahon, Illinois
    Thank you for you advice. It is very appreciated,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by