1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another quick coop question...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JessicaGrant, Jun 26, 2008.

1. JessicaGrant

JessicaGrant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Western Mass
    I building a coop that is raised a bit off the ground. I decided to go with a plywood floor, but it is in pieces with some cracks. I am going to do my best to patch the cracks (I love trim!) but I am also thinking of lining the outside of the bottom with chicken wire. Will that keep snakes and rats out of the coop do you think? Thanks to everyone for their wisdom!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Will that keep snakes and rats out of the coop do you think

Nope. You need hardware cloth for that. A snake can easily go through chickenwire.​

3. JessicaGrant

JessicaGrant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Western Mass
    Quote:Nope. You need hardware cloth for that. A snake can easily go through chickenwire.

Oh, OK! Is it a good idea to do it with hardware cloth or is it a waste of time, effort and $$, do you think?

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Another thing that will keep rats and snakes out is to use flashing on the bottom, where these pest might try to enter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by