Another quick layout question (pics)

Meesh

Songster
11 Years
Feb 12, 2008
Rocky Mountains
Hi,

I need another quick bit of help before I set my coop foundation. The tractor made quick work of scraping out the foundation, I didn't think of using it until the rototiller wasn't working so well.

coopsite.jpg

Should I make it so the henhouse sits through the fence like this:

layout.jpg

Or is this better?

layout2.jpg

Having it through the fence would be convenient - I can make egg collection boxes on that side, accessible from the sidewalk. However, it would be a little more secure inside the fence.

Cheers,
Michelle

Not sure there will be much more security in it being outside the fence than in. If something wants those chickens, it will get in.
So I'd say do whatever you want.

I'd have it sticking out through the fence, so you can directly go into it without first going through another gate.

Also: If it is possible to have a window on the east side, placed low, your hens will love it. Mine sit inside the coop where the morning light hits the floor. Even though they have their red light for warmth (they're only 7 weeks old), they prefer the natural light to sit in. Ideally, the window would be tall.

Brian

Last edited:
Thanks for the words of experience.

I think I'll put it flush with the fence, so there won't be a gate to go through. Will be laying block tomorrow.
big_smile.png

Yes, Brian, lots of light from the East. The coop is currently a porch that sits against the house, so one wall of it is completely unfinished. I want to make that a nice, bright wall. Need to go look for used windows at the Habitat for Humanity store...

Cheers,
Michelle

I agree with all the above -- if your coop wall isn't as (or probably more!) predator-proof than a fence then you've done something majorly wrong
tongue.png
And as you say, it's more convenient just to have to go thru a door not a gate also.

The only reason I could see for using the other layout (entry from within the pen) would be if you anticipate having children or boneheads
tongue.png
looking after the chickens sometimes and are concerned about escapes.

Have fun,

Pat

There is always the worry of bonehead factor.
big_smile.png

I think anything with a door or window is going to be slightly less secure. The rest of the walls will have electric fence + hardware cloth on the lower portion to make the house extra secure for night time... I am not yet sure if I can take these measures across the front where the door is. So to me, having it outside the fence and not as well protected does make it less secure in comparison.

Cheers,
Michelle

Well, I guess if you have bears then yeah a wall might not be as secure as an electric fence. Nothing but a bear should be able to get thru a well built wall though (and that includes the door, and window if you *really* gotta have a window on the 'outside' side of the coop).

If you have bears you could run a couple lines of electric in front of the coop, I'd probably set them out 4 or 5 feet from the coop, and only turn 'em on at night. Just 3 or so bare wires on insulators on T-posts. The idea would be to surprise Mr Bear enough that he decides not to further investigate the structural integrity of the coop.

Good luck either way,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom