Another rant...irresponsible dog owners...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Shannon's Chix, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Shannon's Chix

Shannon's Chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    I am sick to death of hearing people tell me "he/they/she keep(s) getting out of the fence". I have spent a LOT of money reinforcing my coops with expensive hardware cloth, many laborous hours digging to bury it deep into the ground.

If you can't afford to "fix" your fence...YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE DOGS!!![​IMG]

I spent almost an hour tracking down the owners of two dogs who I found out by my coop today, were in my front yard this morning and the other day. Good thing I have all the time in the world on my hands.[​IMG]

2. HLAC

HLAC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    Central Utah
    Sorry to hear of your dog troubles.

If it were me, I'd call animal control or take them to the pound if I didn't know who the owners were. If they care about their dogs they'll do the legwork to track them down. They'll also have to pay to get their dogs back. Forking out $50+ per dog, per day might make them try harder to keep the dogs at home.

3. Shannon's Chix

Shannon's Chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    Thanks for the advice...animal control were called but would take to long to get out to me although I can file a complaint but had to find out who the owners were!

Believe me I would have taken them myself but I couldn't get close enough to the little buggars to catch them!

Hopefully after speaking with the owner...we'll see...but I'm sure they'll be another random dog coming along to check out the chickens next week.[​IMG]

4. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    I consider myself SO lucky I haven't had an issue with loose dogs even though I live out in the country on 4 acres with large parcels of land around me.

I had 2 x 4" no climb field fencing put in when I moved in to house my 3 dogs safely in my backyard because I didn't want them running loose.

If I had a problem, I think I'd first spray paint the dogs side with a bullseye. Any responsible pet owner would take notice if their dog came home with that painted on it's side I would think. (I would).

If the same dog returned, I'd take it to the Animal Shelter.

Good luck to you.

5. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    Glad they didn't actually harm your flock. I would have called animal control.

We have two dogs that are escape artist. We have chain link fence, buried wire fencing between the chain link and the ground, electric collars with invisible fencing... and they still get out about once a year. granted, its usually due to someone visiting not being responsible and closing the gate but they have occassionally jumped the fence when their collar batteries died without us knowing.

I would appreciate it if someone did call animal control if my dogs were running loose and I was at work. The sooner they are contained, the less likely they are to get hurt. The $50 fee to get them out of the pound would be worth it if they weren't hurt.

Sorry you couldn't catch them, but I am glad your flock is OK. silver lining, if the dogs peed around your coop it may keep the possums and coons away for a few days [​IMG]

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I also would want animal control called if my dogs were loose..i'd be frantic with worry.

7. birdsofthefarm

birdsofthefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2009
    Grayson County, TX
    I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND!!

62 of my chickens have been killed by dogs

8. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Portage County, Ohio
    Live trap em, back by the coop, then call Animal Control to come get them right out of the trap. That's what I'd do... Owners may get upset, but it's hard to complain when they're that close to your chickens.

Here I could shoot any stray... I don't, or haven't yet though I would if they were actually harrying them though, I’m a pretty good shot. People in rural areas know it's possible so they make that extra effort to keep em on their own property and away from people's livestock.

9. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    we have our own dogs patrolling our property.... any other predators welcomed at their own risk.

10. toredano

toredano Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Grainger County,TN
    Quote:A dog peeing around the coop does not prevent coons to come around. My dog allways goes around the pen and does the business..Doesnt prevent the predators to come around at all.
    In fact we shot a coon last night that was trying to climb into the birdcage ..

That beeing said......Sadly alot of times its to late when dogs get out.
    I dont bother with calling around anymore. The people who own tehse dogs wont fess up half the time anyway or get mad when you tell em their dog got shot. To bad.. dont let em roam and kill lifestock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by