Another reason I love my chickens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ezgreen, Mar 22, 2011.

1. ezgreen

ezgreen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2010
    I know how much they love bugs, and help with bug control. And their great eggs.

I have another confirmed reason why I love my chickens.

This weekend my daughter and I found our first scorpion of the season. We are in an area of Texas where we do see quite a few scorpions. We moved a brick and there is was, and it was really moving and pretty large. I caught it to see what my chickens would do with it. I have never seen them confront one. I have wondered if they just kind of leave each other alone, or if they chickens would eat them.

I placed it in the yard in front of my hens and they dove for it. One of the Silkies swooped down and killed it with one peck and then grabbed it and ran across the yard to savor it. Like it was crab legs or something! [​IMG]

So, now I know my chickens view scorpions as a delicacy, which means they are constantly out there looking for them and eating them. That makes me happy. Chickens are so great.

2. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    [​IMG] Who'da thunk it? Scorpions! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Can't find a better bug-getter than a chicken!

4. KirkKoop

KirkKoop Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2010
    My chickens like grass snakes, frogs, wasps and as we found out this weekend...chocolate chip cookies! My young nephews were over for a visit and didn't realize how "social" our chickens are and were caught a bit off guard when they jumped up in their laps and stole their cookies right outta their hands LOL...it was so funny watching the kids try and chase them down after the fact! Heehee those city kids got schooled by some chickens.

5. ezgreen

Dec 5, 2010
    I also think they have been eating *fire ants* of all things.

I had several fire ant mounds pop up recently since it has gotten warm, and one was in my garden. I do not like to use any type of ant killer because I am an organic gardener and have the chickens. These are those nasty fire ants, too.

Anyway, I had noticed some "footprints" in the ant mounds and I was kind of worried because I have heard about ants crawling up the nose of fawns and killing them, so I wasn't sure if ants could kill chickens.

The ants are GONE from my garden and I do not see any mounds at all back there today. So I guess they have been pecking away at them.

*chicken love*

6. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    Man, chickens will make a fool outta the Orkin man any day of the week! [​IMG]

7. ezgreen

Dec 5, 2010
    Quote:FOR SURE! They are so efficient, no chemicals, plus the bonus of eggs and yard fertilizer. win-win-win

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by