Another reason to keep raccoon populations down

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Michael Apple, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    From a local lab report:

Ascarid (roundworm) migration was the cause of a sudden onset of neurological signs-head tilt, and left side paralysis of a six week old chicken. A large granularnatous lesions were also seen in the lungs. The submitting veterinarian indicated the owner had a problem with raccoons. Baylsacaris procyonis is a ubiquitous roundworm in raccoons and when the roundworm egg is ingested by other hosts (including children), larvae develop from eggs and migrate through the internal organs, frequently penetrating the brain. Keeping chickens, children and other animals away from raccoon fecal material is extremely important.

1 person likes this.
  2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Well that is interesting, makes you wonder how often they do infect chickens, wouldn't think many chicken cases would actually be accurately diagnosed because few people would send them in. Knew somebody around here years ago who had a couple of dogs come down with it. Know we have been warned about the danger raccoon roundworms can pose for years (and rabies), but way too many people still feed the darn things, especially in the suburbs.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Ditto. Here's a youtube video regarding this. WARNING: Can be graffic to some:

4. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I had a neighbor who was feeding feral cats once. She'd leave food out overnight and the coons would have a feast. I told her it would be wise to pick up the food at night if she insists on feeding feral cats. She told me cats eat at night. I told her mine eat in the morning and afternoon when it is still light out. She became annoyed, so I told her," If you're so concerned about the cats, cage trap them and take them in your home and feed them". She did trap a few. But that stopped when it became too much work. City people and people from the suburbs need to get on track with animal behavior.

5. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I know folks might think it is hyperbole from shows like "Monsters Inside Me", but CAHFS at UC Davis reports these problems upon results from tests of birds surrendered by local poultrymen (women too). My dog Jake got very sick for a few hours after ingesting some coon turds once. He's on HeartGard Plus, but it could have turned out bad had he not been.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Are skunks and possums a risk, too?

-Kathy

7. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Not reported from what I can see, but salmonella is a concern with possums and skunks:
    http://www.247wildlife.com/wildlifediseases.htm

I understand people being hesitant to killing things. I don't like doing it one bit. I say a prayer for that animal I'm about to shoot, but I know that population control is necessary, animals like coons are very territorial, relocation can be brutal because of that, and when it comes to my animals versus animals that want to eat them, the animals that want to eat them will die.

I've caught local dogs on my property a couple times. I won't shoot them, but will catch them and take them home, or call the Humane Society if they aren't tagged. Sometimes people make mistakes and their dog may get out. Then there's those people that aren't fit to raise a dog, let alone a child.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by