Another roo from the "pullet" bin!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by kaybats, Oct 16, 2011.

1. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    I got some Buff Orpington chicks around 4th of July and they were supposed to be pullets! [​IMG]

I started noticing one's crown and wattles becoming very red and growing faster than the others. and now I think it's official. He is a little bigger than the other girls and his feathers are shinier, too.

It doesn't surprise me like it did when I got TWO roos from my first 6 RIRs! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My farmer friend said he would take him if i wanted, but he's getting to be so pretty; I don't think I could part with him! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Yep - looking all roo to me. He IS gorgeous, and if he's a sweetheart, I'd try to keep him. Love buff orps -

3. kaybats

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:That's the plan.

And he gets prettier and prettier every day! Thanks for the compliment....I will surely let him know!

4. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I got a rooster out of the pullet bin. I always have to laugh because, at TSC, they had just arrived, so there were 100 "pullets" and I got 14 and one ended up being a roo...LOL!

But he is a good boy and awfully cute, here is Rueben...
    [​IMG]

5. kaybats

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:He is HANDSOME!!! [​IMG]

Yes, I got 2 roos out of six from the pullet bin at Orscheln. But thought there was a better chance getting them right from the hatchery....LOL NOPE. Got 11 buffs, one died the very next day and three more deceased due to Cocci. So from the seven left, I got me one roo.

Not bad...considering the odds.... [​IMG]

6. my 8 'pullets' rom Tractor Supply bin I got one roo last year. I was really bummed out until he ended up being the best thing that has ever happened to me!!!! Of course it's the famous 'Bird!!!!

[​IMG]

Although he does act a little 'girly' lately.

Peaches Lee, Rueben is GORGEOUS!!!!!!! what a dude. Glad you kept him.

Kay, Your Orp is going to be a sweety too! Keep us poste with lots of photos!!!!

7. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    I got 4 roo's out of 7 from the "sexed" bin and "sexed" chicks at swaps myslef....that a terrible %! lol

8. kaybats

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:fishnet.... He is beautiful! [​IMG]

And I won't be giving my "Ginger" away if I can help it! I'm not so sure it would be a good thing to let him keep that name (it's a male thing I'm sure, LOL) So if anyone has any suggestions on how to make Ginger a masculine name, I'm open!!!!

@ Juan......you have lovely, lovely girls! I have seen your photos in other threads. What did you do with the roos?

9. awww. .. just call him Mud.

10. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:He is HANDSOME!!! [​IMG]

Yes, I got 2 roos out of six from the pullet bin at Orscheln. But thought there was a better chance getting them right from the hatchery....LOL NOPE. Got 11 buffs, one died the very next day and three more deceased due to Cocci. So from the seven left, I got me one roo.

Not bad...considering the odds.... [​IMG]

Thanks! Sorry about your bad luck with the hatchery.

Fishnet--I love Bird, he is HUGE!! And very stunning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by