Another roo from the "pullet" bin!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by kaybats, Oct 16, 2011.

1. kaybats

kaybats Songster

Jun 4, 2011
    I got some Buff Orpington chicks around 4th of July and they were supposed to be pullets! [​IMG]

I started noticing one's crown and wattles becoming very red and growing faster than the others. and now I think it's official. He is a little bigger than the other girls and his feathers are shinier, too.

It doesn't surprise me like it did when I got TWO roos from my first 6 RIRs! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My farmer friend said he would take him if i wanted, but he's getting to be so pretty; I don't think I could part with him! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Songster

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Yep - looking all roo to me. He IS gorgeous, and if he's a sweetheart, I'd try to keep him. Love buff orps -

3. kaybats

kaybats Songster

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:That's the plan.

And he gets prettier and prettier every day! Thanks for the compliment....I will surely let him know!

4. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Songster 7 Years

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I got a rooster out of the pullet bin. I always have to laugh because, at TSC, they had just arrived, so there were 100 "pullets" and I got 14 and one ended up being a roo...LOL!

But he is a good boy and awfully cute, here is Rueben...
    [​IMG]

5. kaybats

kaybats Songster

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:He is HANDSOME!!! [​IMG]

Yes, I got 2 roos out of six from the pullet bin at Orscheln. But thought there was a better chance getting them right from the hatchery....LOL NOPE. Got 11 buffs, one died the very next day and three more deceased due to Cocci. So from the seven left, I got me one roo.

Not bad...considering the odds.... [​IMG]

6. my 8 'pullets' rom Tractor Supply bin I got one roo last year. I was really bummed out until he ended up being the best thing that has ever happened to me!!!! Of course it's the famous 'Bird!!!!

[​IMG]

Although he does act a little 'girly' lately.

Peaches Lee, Rueben is GORGEOUS!!!!!!! what a dude. Glad you kept him.

Kay, Your Orp is going to be a sweety too! Keep us poste with lots of photos!!!!

7. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Songster

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    I got 4 roo's out of 7 from the "sexed" bin and "sexed" chicks at swaps myslef....that a terrible %! lol

8. kaybats

kaybats Songster

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:fishnet.... He is beautiful! [​IMG]

And I won't be giving my "Ginger" away if I can help it! I'm not so sure it would be a good thing to let him keep that name (it's a male thing I'm sure, LOL) So if anyone has any suggestions on how to make Ginger a masculine name, I'm open!!!!

@ Juan......you have lovely, lovely girls! I have seen your photos in other threads. What did you do with the roos?

9. awww. .. just call him Mud.

10. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Songster 7 Years

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:He is HANDSOME!!! [​IMG]

Yes, I got 2 roos out of six from the pullet bin at Orscheln. But thought there was a better chance getting them right from the hatchery....LOL NOPE. Got 11 buffs, one died the very next day and three more deceased due to Cocci. So from the seven left, I got me one roo.

Not bad...considering the odds.... [​IMG]

Thanks! Sorry about your bad luck with the hatchery.

Fishnet--I love Bird, he is HUGE!! And very stunning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by