Another roo or hen guess-it-game

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SanctusPullus, Jul 22, 2011.

1. SanctusPullus

SanctusPullus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    My Coop
    This "girl" was sold to me as a Feather-Legged Cuckoo Marans. It's obviously NOT a "Cuckoo" and I got suggestions from some of you here as to what it might be and the consensus seems to be that it's a Splash Marans. Right now it's not even three weeks old and has started developing a heck of a comb. None of the other three chicks alongside her are even close to looking like this and none of the other four we've already raised looked like this until they were much much older. The tail is developing a little faster than the others and it already has some pretty wings - Does this look like a rooster? If I can identify her as a him now, I still have time to trade him back and put a replacement in the flock before they get too big.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And if anyone else here has any insight into thinking it's something other than a "Splash" Marans, it surely would be appreciated. [​IMG]

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    It's a boy. And yes he does look like a splash. He's pretty though! [​IMG]

3. SanctusPullus

Jun 4, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    My Coop
    Zaxby's2 :

It's a boy. And yes he does look like a splash. He's pretty though! [​IMG]

My gut agrees but can you tell me why? Is it because of the comb only? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  4. Zaxby's2

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    The comb is way too large at that age to be a pullet, so I'm mostly going by the comb. He also appears to have stocky legs though, which is a characteristic of roosters. [​IMG]

5. SanctusPullus

Jun 4, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    My Coop
    Thanks, I was actually wondering about how big and well-colored (silver) the legs are too at that age.

6. Zaxby's2

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    I wouldn't know about the leg coloring of marans, I don't have any- I think. [​IMG]

7. SanctusPullus

Jun 4, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    My Coop
    Zaxby's2 :

I wouldn't know about the leg coloring of marans, I don't have any- I think. [​IMG]

Me neither really, just that it's a very "thick" color, almost like house paint.​

8. SanctusPullus

Jun 4, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    My Coop
    Anyone else have any opinions/expertise on this? Planning on taking him back to the store on Tuesday [​IMG]

9. The Turken Lady

The Turken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

He looks like a cockerel to me. [​IMG]

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Looks like a cockerel. Nice splash coloring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by