1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another roo Q :P Can I have a bantam with all standard girls?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mama2B&D&...Chickens, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Mama2B&D&...Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    I found someone wth 2 bant Roo's but all my 6 girls are standards so i dont know if it would work-be a good idea? Thanks so much for any advice!

2. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    It should be ok.
    I had a bantam roo with my standard girls.
    But it really depend on the personality of the roo.
    If hes a push over, he won't get respect from them.

3. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    I've had bantam roosters in with standard girls without any problems. Just be aware that in some cases the rooster may be too small to effectively do his roosterly duties (though he'll definitely try), so the eggs may not be fertile. Of course, that's only a problem if you're hoping to hatch some in the future.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yep sure can. As I just mentioned on FB yesterday, funniest thing I ever saw was a tiny 2 lb. phoenix cross trying to mate my largest hen who weighs a little over 9 lbs. He wasn't accomplishing anything, but he did an excellent job of hanging on for the ride as the hen ran away. [​IMG]

I just got these two little roos from another BYCer and they do the job I wanted them for - as protectors, calling predator alarms when necessary. I don't really care about fertile eggs at this time.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  5. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I always have banty roo's with standard hens. I love OEGBs and they only come straight run so I keep a couple of roo's. They do great with the big girls.
    I don't, however, have real big hens. I do notice that my four bantys, two hens and two roo's, hang together. But, the roo's protect the whole flock and try to breed everyone.

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:[​IMG]

HAHAHHAHA I can SO see that! Thanks for the laugh I needed it!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    Thanks everyone [​IMG] and that made me LOL about the banty hanging on for the ride! I can completely envision the whole thing. hahaha...my girls actually aren't all that big for standards...at least i dont think...my BO especially...she doesn't know she's a chicken. [​IMG]

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have a few bantam roosters - and hens - in with my mixed flock of standard chickens. Chicks, hens, pullets, cockerels, roosters of all different breeds andd sizes. As a result of some broody hens and successful hatches, I also have quite a variety of "designer" chicks. Many of those are obviously progeny of bantam Roos and large fowl ladies.

9. mlward

mlward Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    Tuscarora, NY
    I have a bantam buff brahma rooster that has been in with my standard buff orps since they were all juveniles. He does a good job with them and I incubated eggs this year from them and they were fertile. We got 4 mixed chickens, looked like little orps with feathered feet. LOL!

10. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    We need a "designer" "mixed" thread [​IMG] I'm thinking up what all these mixed birds look like! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by