Another Roo what to do.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Owingsia, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Owingsia

Owingsia Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Saluda VA
    Ok so I have two Japanese Bantam Roos who are actually buddies well sorta. The buff is the alpha and they do not fight. Actually some nights they are found on the top roost huddled up together watching the hens.

We bought some silver laced wayndot (Spelling?) at wile back and well one just crowed today. We free range our chickens and as soon as he crowed he got an answer back from the other two bantams. Kai the non alpha came running over to see who was crowing. He didnt attack (Yet) but he was very curious about who made the noise.

Should we be looking to re-home the new roo (Might eat him but we are not sure yet) or should we wait and see what will happen? I am more worried about this new roo who is obviously much larger than "The Guys" and can in a few months probably hurt them badly.

I am Keeping the Japanese Bantam Roos as they both get along and I also plan on letting our Japanese Bantam hen (Going to get more Japanese Bantams this spring, We have 25.. 24 hens of different breeds) hatch eggs this year or next we have not decided. I know I want to get more Japanese Bantams as they are my absolute favorite bird and I love the little eggs. To me the Bantam eggs taste great and I love the size two to three make the best breakfast or egg sandwich.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    On the other hand, it might be good to keep him since you free range. They will not necessarily injure each other. I've had squabbling roos without actually seeing damage; it was just a lot of show. You could just see how it goes.

3. Owingsia

Owingsia Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Saluda VA
    I like waiting to see what happens. What about in the coup at night? Our birds use the coop for laying and roosting at night. Right now our Alpha roo gathers up the girls at night fall and makes sure they get in. I hope they do not fight at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by