another rooster question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by trudyg, Sep 23, 2016.

1. trudyg

trudyg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    My Roscoe, just over a year old, has been so good to the girls and pretty much ignored me. Until yesterday. I was working in the coop and, as I turned around, I almost fell over him--he was right at my feet. That was a surprise, but I figured I'd better keep an eye out (having had a bad rooster in the past). So, I made it a point to go out there several times and, every time, he's right at my heels. Not dancing or anything, but right there. DH says he thinks I have treats, but I usually toss treats in the pen. DH will hold the treat and let them snatch out of his hand. DH doesn't deal with them except treats once or twice a day. What am I to watch for other than this? I've already told DH that I'm going to have him watch as I go about my business out there and let me know if he sees anything odd. I like him, but I won't tolerate a bad roo. I'd rather plan now for his date with the crock pot and not let it escalate. What do you think? I could isolate him if it would help.

2. Lost Farmer

Lost Farmer Just Hatched

Sep 20, 2016
    Just keep an eye on him and go on your daily schedule. Ive had chickens that would be right under my feet all the time, but not all of a sudden like your Roo. If he isnt showing any body language of feeling threatened or showing aggression, i wouldnt be worried. Who knows he may become your guardian in the coop. "This is my human, anyone comes close to them and they have to deal with me!!!"

3. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    A rooster standing at your feet does not mean aggression at all. He probably thinks you have treats. When treats are tossed to them they learn quickly, and will always come close to see what you have for them. A rooster who is good to the girls is often difficult to find, so you probably have a very good rooster.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd be a bit leery due to the suddenness of the behavior...but don't let it show in your demeanor.
    I'd just carry on as usual and keep an eye on him...with calm confidence in your attitude.

5. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    If he was aggressive, he would have nailed you already, either pecking or spurring.
    I too think he just wants treats.
    Sounds like a great roo to me. Just keep an eye on him.

6. trudyg

trudyg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear. I'm pretty calm, confident and assertive anyway, so I'll just stay aware. He's been very good so far, coos and woos the girls and isn't rough on them, so I'd like to keep him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by