Another sand Question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Thommo, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Thommo

Thommo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Hi all another newbie here, i know this has been done but want to ask a couple of Q

1, If i sand the run (run is not covered yet) wats it like in winter with rain?? does it go really hard and compact alot??
    2, On the other scale does it get really hot with the summer sun? (will at aleast have shade cloth over the top
    3, Wat sand is best?
    4, How deep does the sand need to be?
    5, Wat age can chicks be aloud on sand?

Thanks for the replys, (even if its all been done before) just not sure on a couple [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    First Hi from Missouri and [​IMG]
    1.Where I have sand it is covered (but that is just me) When it rains just take a rake to fluff it, and a kitty scooper to remove the bird poop [​IMG]
    2. If there is no shade it will get hot, but if you have it covered like i do, there will always be some that is cool (and they love taking dust bath in it )
    3. any sand you want is fine (i use play sand ) acts as grit too ( so 2 birds with one stone there )
    4. how deep is up to you.i have at least 2 inches
    5. I had mine inside in the raising pen at 3 weeks of age and then just continued it

3. Thommo

Thommo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Quote:Thanks for the reply [​IMG]

4. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Quote:1. I don't know what mines like in winter yet but it's doing fine so far in summer. The sand will compact when wet but your chickens won't have any problem scratching it up.

2. Yes, it gets hot if in direct sunlight but you say you'll have shade cloth so shouldn't be a problem.

3. I've just used natural river sand. It has lots of tiny pebbles in it, which should be good for grit in adult birds. Other folks use construction sand. The river sand was abundant and free so that's what I used.

4. I've read six inches. Mine is four, but over a couple of inches of gravel for drainage.

5. It seems to me, if they were hatched naturally by momma they would be out and about on any and all surfaces. Grass, dirt....and sand. I wouldn't think it would be a problem. My two week olds eat it up for grit.

5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

You can put straw or chips over the sand in the winter but they will get wet and freeze too, if they get wet. Nice thing is it sifts out of the dry sand like poo so it's not a disaster if it doesn'y work like you want.

Shade or overhead cover will allow at least part of the sand to stay dry as well as your birds.

I run sand a couple inches deep so I can easily rake and sift it as needed.

My chicks go out on it as soon as they hit the big coop. I don't run it in the tweens mobile coop due to weight.

Coarse sand on well drained ground allows spilled water and rain to drain away year around, gives them something to scratch in, supplies grit, and provides the a dust bath area

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by