Another Scooby Doo mystery...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chooksaurus, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Chooksaurus

Chooksaurus Songster

Aug 8, 2009
    NW WI
    Can anyone give their best wager as to what these 4 are, both breed and sex? The one named Bubba seems to be a female for sure, but the other 3 are up in the air as none of them have started to crow and they are all 14-16 weeks old.

Bubba (center bird) seems to be part Barred Rock, and is between the BR and RIR in size. Pretty sure it is a hen.

[​IMG]

Stripe has the long tail, but shows no sign of aggression, and is quite skittish. The long tail made me think possible roo. Is about 2/3 the size of the Barred Rocks, so it has some bantam in it.

[​IMG]

Black Beauty has a long tail, but is as timid and "chicken" as they come. This one has the closest thing to a crow that we have heard, but it is more of a scared "shrieeek" when you get too close and it is trying to flee. It is about 1/2 the size of the Barred Rocks, so it has some small breed in it. The black feathers have a green and purple shimmer in the sunlight. Long tail made me think roo for a while as well. Pretty bird, just psycho.

[​IMG]

Penguin appears to be part silkie? Acts more like a roo than the others with an upright gait, puffed chest and head bob. Has 5 toes on each black foot and a nice little "hairdo". No waddle or comb in sight, and it makes very little noise. The noise it does make sounds more like a songbird than a chicken.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Crowing

Jul 16, 2009
    ALL hens....[​IMG]

3. Chooksaurus

Chooksaurus Songster

Aug 8, 2009
    NW WI
    Quote:I hope so. [​IMG]

I can always pick up a roo on the cheap when we want one, but my daughter would have had to pick which ones to get rid of if we had more than one.

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Crowing

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Silver laced wyandotte, could be a hen.. Need better pictures.

Maybe a EE, though i've seen a australorp like that recently so what do i know? [​IMG]. Hen.

Birchen (maybe silver blue) Old english game bantams. Hen.

Silkie coss.. Hen.

5. Chooksaurus

Chooksaurus Songster

Aug 8, 2009
    NW WI
    Quote:[​IMG]

Hopefully that one works.

I noticed something on the one named Stripe today. One of the feathers on its tail is a bit longer and getting a downward bend in it. After looking at these 3 pictures, does it still look to be a hen? (Hoping it is...but to have 4/4 straight-run mixed breeds be hens would be incredibly lucky for me [​IMG])

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Kev

Kev Crowing

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Yep all girls. No question about it either.

The wyandotte could be either a wyandotte mix or from hatchery stock. Hatchery stock very often have poor markings(lacing not so good- she is pretty anyways though!) type etc.

You guessed right about that one being a silkie cross or mix. Still a girl though.

7. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    The SLW looks like it has a single comb instead of a pea comb. They're all really pretty! I like Stripe the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: