Another Sex Link Question - This time Red Sex Links

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by brandnewlife, Apr 15, 2009.

1. brandnewlife

brandnewlife Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2007
    Winchester VA
    Hi All,

I have a pen with Rhode Island Red Roosters and RIR Hens and Rhode Island White Roosters and RIW Hens. they are all in same pen.

I know that if the RIR's breed the RIW Hens, red sex links will result.

However, what will happen if the RIW Roos breed the RIR hens?

If this all too confusing I get it, I think I am confusing myself!

Thanks to all you for your help!

Jim

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Well I understand what you are saying but I don't know the answer. I did have it somewhere I will look and see if I saved it. I know about the RIR rooster and RIW hen because that's what I have and I got 4 white chicks last time but I couldn't cull them.

3. Old Rando

Old Rando Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    The mating of your Rhode Island White rooster with your Rhode Island Red hen will not produce a chick that is sexable by color at hatch.

4. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:If I understand things correctly, the RIW male mated with a RIR female will result in offspring (both male and female) that look like the father.

However, these offspring will not breed true to RIW form.

5. Old Rando

Old Rando Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Quote:If I understand things correctly, the RIW male mated with a RIR female will result in offspring (both male and female) that look like the father.

TimG this isn't correct. The RIW is recessive white so the mating of a RIW male with RIR female will give reddish chicks. If the white parent was dominant white then your statement would have been more correct. But if the RIW were a dominant white bird then it would not work as a sex link hybrid cross with red maleXwhite female mating.

6. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio

TimG this isn't correct. The RIW is recessive white so the mating of a RIW male with RIR female will give reddish chicks. If the white parent was dominant white then your statement would have been more correct. But if the RIW were a dominant white bird then it would not work as a sex link hybrid cross with red maleXwhite female mating.

Sorry, Old Rando, but the "white" in Rhode Island White is often a misnomer, the birds are often genetically silver, which is why they are sometimes used with RIRs or production reds to make sex-links. When the white coloration is silver, the mating works just like it would with a Delaware or any other genetically silver bird: Red male over Silver female produces red females and silver males. I don't know what proportion of RIWs are silver and what proportion might be another genetic variety of white. Here's one reference to this on feathersite:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html

7. TimG

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I thought the sex-linking came as a result of the female not passing on a gene to female offspring.

A Black Sex-link, for example, is a result of a Rhode Island Red father and a Barred Rock mother. Pullets, who get no barring gene from the mother are black with red in the neck. Cockerels, who receive the dominant barring gene from the mother end up barred.

Since RIR male and RIW female produce a sexlinked offspring, I assumed the "white" in the RIW was dominant. Otherwise, the offspring wouldn't be 100% sex-linked, would they?

As sort of an aside: when naming a cross, is there a convention for whether the male or female is named first? That is, does RIR x RIW indicate which is female and which is male?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  8. seriousbill

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Okay, y'all, listen up. There are three genes that produce a visually "white" bird: dominant white, recessive white, and silver. ONLY ONE produces sex linked birds: silver. The others are not sex linked genes, so they are inherited equally from both parents.

9. TimG

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:A RIR male and RIW female do produce a sex-linked offspring, don't they?

At least that is what the feathersite.com page that you and I both linked says.

10. seriousbill

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:A RIR male and RIW female do produce a sex-linked offspring, don't they?

At least that is what the feathersite.com page that you and I both linked says.

Yes, they do, because the RIW, as I said above, is often genetically silver. This is the recipe for the Hubbard ISA Brown, from what I've read.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by