Another SF Question!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by noitulover, Mar 14, 2013.

1. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    We're moving our chickens into a barn, which will be our new coop. I've forgotten the exact measurements, but it is probably about 10' x 20'. We don't plan on having more than around 30 chickens (5-10 would be bantams or half bantams), but I can see us having a few over [​IMG]. They will free range from the time we get home from work (varies, but could be anywhere from 2pm-6pm) until dark. On weekends they free range all day.

How big would you make the run? Although I want my chickens to have plenty of room, I don't want to build/upkeep an enormous run that isn't "necessary", since they do get free range time.

The barn is also right next to another barn, a road (ours for tractors/trucks, not a highway or anything), and a hill, so the logistics of a huge, long run might be a bit difficult.

On that info, how big would you make yours?

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    10x30 Make sure it's predator proof if they will be in it while you are gone from the property.

3. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Thanks! Yes, we're always overly cautious about predator proofing the coop. We've got every predator out there except for bears (thank goodness).

We do 1/4" thick hardware cloth all the way around, buried in the ground, packed in by rocks, etc.

4. eve1103

eve1103 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    Michigan
    I've been wondering the same thing. I've got to get the run started as soon as the snow is gone. I've got so much work to do!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by