another show girl ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kelliepulido, Oct 28, 2008.

1. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    So for breeding the show girl itself.. you have a nn and breed to a silkie what are the ratios of showgirls and do you have to then keep breeding the nn/silkie to each other to get the better quality silkie feathering but with the nn? How do you start out would you want a roo nn and hen silkie or the other way around?And the colors what do you want

2. youdontknow32

youdontknow32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    South Western PA
    All I know is it's the other way around a nn hen and a silkie roo

3. So for breeding the show girl itself.. you have a nn and breed to a silkie what are the ratios of showgirls and do you have to then keep breeding the nn/silkie to each other to get the better quality silkie feathering but with the nn? How do you start out would you want a roo nn and hen silkie or the other way around?And the colors what do you want

Take 'showgirl' out of the equation --- we will substitute Naked Neck Silkie.

Yes, you should keep breeding your best naked neck NN x Silkie crosses back to your best Silkie (I've gone both ways and doesn't seem to matter here whether sire is crossed or dam is crossed).
    When you have the traits (vaulted skull, black skin, 5th toe, silkie feathering, blue lobes, feather footed) set on a naked neck bird, then you have Naked Neck Silkies.
    Hope that helps. It's not as complicated as some would want you to think.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa​

4. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    im confused but i wish u good luck

5. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Showgirls have come so far in quality since they were originally bred. Unless you are just a challenge driven person, why dont you just buy a few Silkie showgirls from already established "lines" to get started with?

And ditto what Dipsy said, It doesn't matter whether the NN bird is a male or female.

BUT, what does matter is how many times you continue to cross back to NN's.... if you cross Showgirls to Showgirls continuously, you will start to loose the Silkie characteristics. Its good to keep a normally feathered Silkie in the breeding program.

Also Showgirl x Showgirl breeding will give you an entirely naked neck bird. Showgirl x Silkie will give you the bowtie....

6. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Quote:To elaborate on what Chris said... showgirl x showgirl would give you 25% homozygous nn, 50% heterozygous, and 25% without the gene (a regular silkie). Breeding silkie x showgirl will give you 50% heterozygous, 50% silkie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by