1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

another "sick" chick question...does my chick look ok?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MamaMarcy, Oct 26, 2011.

1. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    My black silkie bantam is on the right, 3 1/2 weeks old. She was behind in growth with 3 others I had and adopted out 2 weeks ago. The chick on the left is less than a day old (wyandote). If she looks like she's missing butt hair, she is. In her first week she keps developing poo plugs over her vent that I had to remove, that caused the bald butt.

she just seems so small?

[​IMG]

2. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    I had one like that and it eventually died (with the poop stuck on bottom problem). If it was just the size, without the poop trouble, I would say it's fine, because we once had a 3 month old chick that was the same size as a 1-week-old chick (still with chick-feathers other than the wings), but that one didn't have any trouble with the poop even when it was little. I don't know what causes it. Hopefully other people will know what to do if the poop problem comes back again, but if she isn't having that trouble any more, maybe you're in the clear now and hopefully she'll be fine.

3. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    No poop pluggy issues since...but her butt is also bare...she eats & drinks fine, is active, but she "acts" younger. Could she literally be mentally and physically retarded?

4. GardenState38

GardenState38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    What are you feeding her? Is she getting enough?
    What is the protein level in the feed? Proteins are the building blocks of growth and feathers-- I'd make sure she's getting enough of it.
    Try supplementing with a mashed hard boiled egg and/or a bit of plain yogurt each day.

I had one who was slower to develop so I also supplemented all my chicks' early diet with a product called nutri-drench in their water. It's a vitamin supplement in a molasses base (molasses helps with pasty butt issues--I realize your girl no longer has that problem, but it can't hurt.)
    Seems like your little one may need a little boost to get things on track.

5. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    She's on a medicated chick mix...I sent the labael off with a guy who adopted the other silkies so not sure on protein levels...I can find out from the local feed store though (family owned, they are awesome). I do supplement fresh eggs into their diet (is hard boiled better than scrambled?) as well as fish. also fresh produce. I think I'll try the molasses water mixture. i suspect once her butt hairs grow bck she may have poo issues again.

you guys on here are the best!!!

6. GardenState38

GardenState38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    I just hard boil the eggs because it's easier for me (I do a batch at the beginning of the week for myself and the girls) [​IMG]
    I suppose scrambled is no different.
    Good luck with your little one! If it's any consolation, my "slow" chick is fine now, and eventually caught up with the others.
    I hope things work out well for you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by