Another sick chick- this is grieves me :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jynuine, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Jynuine

Jynuine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2014
    Gaston, OR
    So Im thinking that my buff Pullet is really sick and needs help here and now. She is lethargic, puffed up- droopy wings- not eating but is drinking. We had freezing temperatures the past few days and I had to go out and refill their water a few times, im wondering if she was getting enough, but Im concerned about coccidiosis- if I treat her I need to treat the whole flock right? Do I use medicated feed for that what do I do?

Im ready to run out and get meds for poor buff... can I save her at this point?
    [​IMG]

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I would keep her in a room that's 80-85 degrees, weigh her, start Corid, inspect poop, maybe worm with Safeguard at 0.23ml per pound for five days, and tube feed fluids, then fluids and baby bird food.

Can you post a picture of her poop?

-Kathy

3. Jynuine

Apr 15, 2014
    Gaston, OR
    It's funny I was going to take a picture it looked really normal just green and white. Not running at all or bloody. I'm at Wilco right now trying to figure out where to find corid.

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Many feed stores stock Corid in the cattle section... I know for sure that Tractor Supply carries it.

How green was her poop?

-Kathy

5. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I'll be keeping tabs and sending healing feelings your way. I hope your mama gets better!

MrsB

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    While you're out shopping, you might want to get some poultry dust, Safeguard goat wormer and tube feeding suppplies (18" of aquarium air line, 30-60ml syringe and Kaytee Baby Bird Food).

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  7. Jynuine

Apr 15, 2014
    Gaston, OR

I have the safeguard already and they have lots of dust! The gal said the bacteria is just naturally occurring in the soil.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

9. Jynuine

Apr 15, 2014
    Gaston, OR
    I asked the gal there where it was and she showed me but told me that this other stuff works better because it works for not only coccidiosis but other issues, too.
    It's 2 tbsp per gallon and I've started treating all of them. I'm giving her electrolytes and vitamins too.
    [​IMG]

She survived the night which is better than what's happened with any of our other chicks in the past, but she is so so tired.

I found her sleeping in the basket we put her in last night and put her next to it on her feet to drink and eat some mash I made. She stood on her legs ate a little drank a little and promptly tucked her head under her wing and fell asleep on her feet.

I encouraged her to sink again and she did a little and was inclined to eat a tad more and drink a little then right back under that wing.
    I put her back in the basket.

I haven't needed to tube hydrate her yet- if I take a dropper syringe and tilt her head back with the tip of her beak inside the end o the dropper- I can gently push in fluids and she drinks it down.
    Her poop doesn't seem to have blood in it but I thought I might have seen some very very small pink tinged something (lining?) but it's mostly green and white.
    [​IMG]

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by