1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another sick silkie. :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MKandtheforce, Oct 10, 2013.

1. MKandtheforce

MKandtheforce Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2012
    Maine
    I couple months ago, one of my silkies was sick. In the end, I still don't know what it was. I gave her medicine for about a week and a half, and she ended up molting and improving.

Now my other silkie, Celetia, is sick. She's not showing exactly the same symptoms, but maybe the two diseases are related. Her eyes are bloodshot and she's keeping them shut. She's a bit mucous-y around the mouth, and her throat is bright red, which isn't normal for her. She's also lethargic, but still pooping (at least, she gave me a big one). There's no smell that I noticed. I separated her immediately and sprinkled a little of the medicine into her water. The other chickens are fine-- even Chewbacca, who was the original sick silkie.

Does anyone know what could be wrong with Celetia? She's my favorite girl and would hate to cull her. :(

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Ah, I remember Chewbacca. Sounds like her CRD spread and now your other bird is showing symptoms. Just treat her like you did Chewbacca and it should clear up. Just keep the medicine around, because it's now going to pop up again in your flock every time they are stressed, like when it's molting time, for example.

3. MKandtheforce

Jan 2, 2012
    Maine
    Ack. I'm glad it's something that [hopefully] won't kill her. Poor thing. She's just so uncomfortable. Thanks for your input!

4. MKandtheforce

Jan 2, 2012
    Maine
    I think I jinxed it. I found Celetia dead this morning. :(

5. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Oh no :( I'm so sorry :hugs

6. MKandtheforce

Jan 2, 2012
    Maine
    Thank you. [​IMG] Maybe next year, I'll start from scratch with silkie chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by