Another silkie baby can't stand or walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Orcae, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Orcae

Orcae Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2011
    I regretfully inform everyone that another of my silkie chicks is coming down with whatever it was that Charmin died from.
    His name is Phoenix. He can't stand or walk, and wont eat or drink. Just like Charmin, it came on very suddenly.
    I'm force feeding him egg yolk and electrolyte water.
    Here's a link to the thread about Charmin with more information and details, since its pretty much exactly the same. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=581670
    Based
    on what happened with Charmin, I'm completely pessimistic and depressed. Phoenix is one of my favorites...I just cant bear to lose another one like this.

[​IMG]

I can't have a water dish with him or he flops his head into it and will drown.

Edit: 11/12 - His condition steadily got worse, and he was put out of his suffering this morning. RIP little baby...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  2. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    [​IMG] I'm sorry. Did you send Charmin in for a necropsy? I don't know whats wrong with Pheonix. Maybe you could syringe some cod liver oil down her throat.

3. Orcae

Orcae Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2011
    No, we don't have that kind of money. No one seemed to know what was wrong with Charmin, either [​IMG]
    What would the oil do?

4. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Quote:Cod liver oil is actually very healthy and it would hopefully perk her up a bit. When I feel down I just eat some and I feel better. Someone on here gives it to chicks who seem a little out of it and they get better real fast. Perhaps you could try some on her?

5. Orcae

Orcae Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2011
    Thanks, I'll see if dad can pick some up.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If they get oil(cod liver oil etc.) aspirated into their lungs thru syringe or tube feeding that will be a disaster.

7. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    what kind of antibiotics do you have. Do you have any syringes, oxygen tubing or feeding tubes. I myself like to put some milk or baby formula and sugar and salt and I take piece of tube run it down their throat to their crop and give them at least 30 cc of something with nutrition. You can feel tube so you know it is going in crop and not in lungs. Then I would make darn sure i give the chicken antibiotics. My first choice is tylan.
    The reason I like tylan so well is that it is broad spectrum and covers bunches of bacteria. Second antibiotic I like is tetracycline and the reason I like it is that it covers some bacteria tylan doesn't and it covers diarrhea better I feel and some colds. I will give a chicken part of vitamin and they swallow pills easily when you put it in their mouth towards back.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  8. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

What are you feeding your birds regularly? (vitamin deficiency)
    Is the feed clean? Moldy? Old? (botulism)
    Have you gotten any new birds lately? (virus)

9. Orcae

Orcae Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2011
    I don't know if electrolyte water counts as antibiotics, but that's all I have..
    They're being fed Blue Seal layer crumbles (I protested that since they're young and whatnot, but my mother insisted that it'd be fine). Their food isn't moldy or anything, they get fresh dry food every day. I got a silkie/serama mix a few weeks ago, he was quarantined for 2 weeks, then he got put in with the silkies for a grand total of 5 minutes before he had to be separated due to aggression with a different silkie.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  10. Orcae

Orcae Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2011
    Oh, and Charmin died from this same illness before I got the mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by