Another Silkie behavior question...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mommahen64, Jun 13, 2011.

1. mommahen64

mommahen64 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Attleboro
    Hi all, my silkie has started grooming and cuddling with one of my BRs- makes the cutest little cooing and chirping noises. It's cute and sort of sweet, but it it strange? Nobody else does this. OR, is she a he??? [​IMG] She's just about 11 weeks.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Have you posted any pics of the silkie to try and determine gender?

3. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I had a silkie that wasn't quite that young, but she would coo and cuddle everything. She would try to sit on bigger chicks than her to try to "keep them warm". She always "mothered" everything. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

4. mommahen64

May 8, 2011
    Attleboro
    Posted a picture on the gender/breed thread but the jury is still out. Two people think roo, others say they can't tell.

That's her (his?) head in the profile picture. No comb / wattle. Just glad the cuddling isn't an odd behavior because I just love this little chicken. [​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Okay, I found the thread. Gracie looks roo-ish to me [​IMG] but it's very hard for me to be sure. Everyone told me that I had a roo and a hen silkie, right up until the point they both started laying.

Wish I could help. [​IMG]

6. mommahen64

May 8, 2011
    Attleboro
    Well, I'll just wait and see... just love that darn chicken. Of course I bought her a pal because she was my only silkie and now I think it's a 'he' too. Thanks for your help / thoughts!

7. TeriyakiChicken

TeriyakiChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Australia
    this is my white silkie roo at 11 weeks

He has quite a large comb, he's developing wattles and he has blue earlobes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  8. mommahen64

May 8, 2011
    Attleboro
    What a great looking little roo! Gracie has the blue earlobes but no comb or wattles. Sure looks like her though....[​IMG] I guess I'll go with Roo until I see an egg. [​IMG]

I got Gracie a pal (little black silkie) who has wattles so I'm guessing it's a roo. He's 6 weeks. What a family I've got! Love it.

Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by