Another silkie question, are they silkies? Pictures added

Ms Ellen

Songster
14 Years
Aug 8, 2008
Virginia
I hatched out some wonderful silkie chicks from two sets of eggs I got on ebay. One from a seller I have seen mentioned on here before and one I have not seen mentioned. Most of them were great. In the batch from the second breeder there are two that just don't look like silkies to me. They have mostly yellow skin and straight combs. One was much smaller than the rest of the chicks but very healthy and active. I emailed the gentleman and he insists that they are pure and that he owns no other bantam breed birds, though he does have standard cochins I think he said but he insists they are never in the same pen. I kept these two birds instead of selling them as silkies because they don't look like it to me. Will pure silkie lines throw back chicks like this sometimes? I really am clueless since we have never had silkies before. Truth is except for what I read on here I am clueless about chicken breeds anyway, though very experienced with veterinary and management type issues. By the way one of these chicks is a very lovely lavender color while the other is yellow (white or buff maybe?)

Last edited:
Sorry I was going to take some pictures tonight but the camera phone has no charge. Maybe tomorrow night.

I had a strange thing happen earlier this year. I had a blue chick that had straight feathers. I figured it was mutant. i have never had it happen before or since. All my birds are from Breeders who have been breeding silkies for show for years. I don't have any other type bantam and they are completely locked in top to bottom separated from Orps and are all penned according to color. It was a silkie in everyway but straight feathers. Weird looking.
I have hatched hundreds of chicks from that pen so I can't explain what happened there. I have shipped hundreds of eggs from that blue pen and never heard from anyone that had that happen to them in their hatchings

When I thought I could take pictures(till I found out the battery was dead) I took the two chicks out and looked at them. The lavender colored chick has 4 toes and yellowish skin. The small yellow chick has 5 toes and mostly black skin. Also the lavender chick has mostly regular feathers starting on it's wings.

Last edited:
14217_lavchick.jpg

14217_yelchick.jpg

14217_silkiech.jpg

Back
Top Bottom