Another silkie roost question.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ferngully, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Ferngully

Ferngully Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    N.E. Florida
    I know for standard chickens, a 2x4 with 4inch surface face up is used for the roost, with silkies being a smaller breed, what width is used for their roost? Is there a big difference in the size of the feet? What would be ideal? I could rip the wood to the right width. We don't have the silkies yet, just trying to get things finished up.

2. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    My silkies are in with my standard sized chickens and they all use the some roosting pole. We use a 2x4 with the 4inch side up for them to sit on. I've never had any issues with them using that size.

3. Ferngully

Ferngully Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    N.E. Florida
    Thank you for the info. I want to make them as comfey, cozy, and spoiled as possible.

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Yup, my Silkies are in with my Standards also and use the same 2x4 roost with the 4" side up.

5. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Me too.[​IMG] wide is OK.

6. amysue2012

amysue2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2007
    Montpelier Ohio
    I've tried both sides of a 2x4 with mine. They don't care to use them at all they just pile up in a corner. I've also tried moving them to different heights starting at 12 inches moving up to 3 foot still nothing.

[​IMG] mine just dont roost.

7. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Honestly.... mine prefer hanging out snuggled together on the floor/ground than roosting so not to worry.[​IMG] Seems Silkies can lean in that direction and it's totally normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by