Another Silkie Sexing question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by murmagmazy, Jan 19, 2014.

1. murmagmazy

murmagmazy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2013
    ~~I am starting to doubt what I originally thought about my girls. This is Autumn and Bob. They were both born the week of October 16th, so they are 3 months old. My confusion is, when I got them, one had the obvious short/even wings, and the other one had the longer uneven wings, so I was sure I had one of each. This one is Bob(Millie/Silkie mix), and the one I originally thought was a girl, but he started having some major roo features early on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok, so I have been thinking that Bob is the roo, leaving Autumn to be the pullet. Well now im not so sure about her!! She started growing a pretty nice sized crest. Ugh. We get so attached to these babies and then cant keep the roos because of our neighborhood rules. What do you guys think about Autumn? Shes a bit camera shy!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Im afraid I have 2 ROOS!!!!

Thoughts?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Bob is indeed a cockerel. I am 85% certain that Autumn is also a cockerel.

3. murmagmazy

Oct 13, 2013
    Yep, that's what I thought. Maybe the different wing lengths could have been due to Bob being a Millie mix which we didn't know at the time. They have got the best personalities!!!
    Ugh

4. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Both are roos and you can't wing sex silkies.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Ditto, all that red leakage screams boy.

Its more reliable to sex Silkies by the shape of their crest (round=girl, spiky=boy) and the amount of leakage they show (which is typically a male trait). Even those don't always work.

6. murmagmazy

Oct 13, 2013
    Thanks for all the help. These two are sure proof that you can't wing sex them. I'm going to try and take them back this week. They are sure sweet boys!

Thanks again
    Mandy

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Both look like cockerels to me.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Both look like cockerels to me. Sorry...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by