another Silly green egg Question ...UPDATE

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 2468Chickensrgr8, Oct 27, 2008.

1. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    In the spring one of my chickens went broody so i bought a dozen green eggs from a local person who has ALOT of free ranging chickens and roosters...... We ate six and I put six green eggs under her and five hatched and four survived .....they all were hatched out with black and some white feathers and now three are mostly shiney Blue/black(ones a rooster as he has told us in the mornings) and one is really funny looking with black and white feathers poking every which way.......Okay to make a loooong story short....what are my chances of having the girls lay green eggs if they hatched out from a green coloured egg? By my Calender they should be laying middle of November.....Its driving me NUTS !!! waiting for this to happen....Sorry I have no photo's ...i am computer illeterate....hahaha! plus my teenager is to cool to help me...hahaha!!! thanks....
    edited to add a PS.
    The fella i bought them from has alot of different breeds....Free ranging happy chickens...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  2. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Egg color is determined by the rooster. Without knowing what the rooster is, it's anybody's guess.

God Bless,

3. 2468Chickensrgr8

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Hm? the rooster eh? well now I guess I have to cross my fingers for grrrreeen eggs ! thanks for replying....

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I believe either parent can carry the blue egg gene, or both, same with the brown tint. So... your eggs could be blue, green, white or brown tinted, regardless of what genes the roo carreid, depending on what trait the hen passed on. Same goes for the roo.

5. 2468Chickensrgr8

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    I was wondering if you could go by the colour behind their ears? or is that a wise tail?

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I thought it was based on the color of the earlobes? So it's the color of the roo's earlobes? Now wonder my red-eared OEGB hen keeps laying 'white' eggs!!

7. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Not always true with earlobes... its a general rule... I really wished my silkies layed blue eggs, but I get cream.

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yeah I forgot about the blue eared silkies! I have mostly red-eared hens, with a white eared roo. I only get one hen that lays truly 'white' eggs. My cochin lays very brown ones, and another cochin mix lays brown ones. I have 2 that lay pinkish ones, and the rest are some shade of cream. These I consider to be brown, that's why I was wondering.

9. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Well, I crossed my EEer roo with some red and black sexlinks hoping to get a more productive green egg layer. I was told they would probably be more on the olive green side. They are all just little guys now, so I won't know for sure until spring [​IMG]

10. 2468Chickensrgr8

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    thanks for replying....It will be like waiting for Christmas morning around here....I hope I get green eggs.... I hope I get green eggs! ......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by