Another SLW hen/rooster question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tkc, Aug 2, 2010.

1. tkc

tkc Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2010
    Oakland, CA
    This is my first post here. I bought three chicks from a local feed store about three weeks ago. I've been reading through a lot of the posts here, and I believe that one of my chicks, Robin, the silver laced wyandotte, is a rooster. She/he is growing more slowly than the other two chicks, Batman, a black australorp, and Alfred, an easter egger. I would appreciate some second opinions based on the photos below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I apologize for the poor photos. She is pretty quick and hard to photograph. Please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

2. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    [​IMG]

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I don't really have an answer for your question, but she/he looks JUST like my 2 week old SLW. Like you, I'm really suspecting that "Gertrude" is actually a boy because while all of the other chicks have almost all of their wing feathers and very definite little tails, "she" is still mostly baby fluff and I have heard that roosters tend to feather in more slowly. I'm sort of hoping that she's just a late bloomer, although if she's really a he then I guess we'll see how tolerant our neighbors are of roosters.

3. Xanthro

Xanthro Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    Chicks grow at different rates. My two SLW were a little smaller and feathered more slowly than most of my Easter Eggers.

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    SLW males feather more slowly than the girls, but tend to be bigger... just my experience... hard to tell when they are so young! [​IMG] Cute baby you got there!

5. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

My SLW pullets also developed redder combs and waddles earlier than the other chicks. It'll be hard to tell until the adult feathers start coming in. There were a couple threads on here showing the difference between the pullets and roos.

Here's a photo record of my pullets, hope it helps.

3 weeks old:
    [​IMG]

4 weeks old:
    [​IMG]

5 weeks old:
    [​IMG]

6 weeks old:
    [​IMG]

7 weeks old:
    [​IMG]

I haven't taken pics recently, but they're 19 weeks old now and definitely pullets.

6. tkc

tkc Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2010
    Oakland, CA
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I guess there really isn't a good way to tell at this point other than to wait her/him out.

Lovinlife, thanks for all the photos. They're very pretty. I can see that your pullets were much further along than my little one is at three weeks.

7. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Here they are at two weeks:
    [​IMG]

Hope it helps!

8. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Wow, what a difference a week makes! Good to know that other SLW pullets have been so slow to feather in, yours at two weeks look about like my Gertrude. I guess the OP and I will just have to be patient and wait for our late bloomers to catch up with the rest of our chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by