Another spur question.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by horsechick, Apr 23, 2008.

1. horsechick

horsechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    Hi,
    I was searching for information on removing these.
    Used search function here, got a few good links on things to try.
    Also found this info from a link in one of those posts and wondered how someone could do this to a chick to get rid of them when they are young and not have to worry about them at all.

"The spur papilla can be removed when the rooster is still a chick. A veterinarian uses electrocautery to hinder the growing cells of the spur papilla. Since the bony core is not fully developed, the process is quick, non-invasive, and the bird recovers well."

From Poultryhelp.com.

I would much rather do it when they are young and forgo any of it growing at all if possible.

Suggestions?
    Thank you,
    Angela

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Hmmm!!!! It sounds to me like when we burn the horns on calves. You have to heat them enough to kill the horn off and I would imagine that this is the same for the spurs.

3. horsechick

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    Hi,
    I wonder if you might be able to accomplish this with a wood burning tool? Doing it when they are very small?
    I would think maybe just a touch of that would do what the vet would do?
    Thanks,
    Angela

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    All I know is that with the calves, you use the dehorning burner and burn until there is a golden colored ring around the horn. Not sure on a rooster. I guess if you want to try it you would have to experiment. When we heat the dehorner up we use a board to see if it is hot enough. If it burns the board it is good to go, so I would think a wood burning tool should work.

5. horsechick

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    I'll have to give it a try and see how it goes. Maybe something that will really make everything easier.
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by