Another sufferer of avian pox or just bruising? 2 PICTURES included !

eeiko321

Songster
11 Years
Sep 1, 2008
hi guys

one of my hens (1 of 2) has some whitish round spots on the lower parts of the wattles....
looks like blisters

i just noticed it today..... i dont think it was there yesterday when i pet it.
This young hen is about 6 months old or more. it does however get PECKED ALOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT by the older hen...so would it be blisters from bruising?

or im thinking it could be avian pox..... the older hen doesnt have it.. and so far the mosquitos havent been really bad yet, its still spring.

let me know what you think guys...here are 2 pics
15198_14102008159.jpg

15198_14102008158.jpg

Last edited:
need pics...
Look inside her beak and see if there are placques... any evidence of lesions on the combs?

does anyone have an answer yet???

my 2 questions is

1.) does this look like fowlpox? or can this also be injury from pecking?
(can anyone post pictures of pecking bruises difference?)

2.) is it safe to eat an egg from a chicken with fowl pox????

let me know please, guys...

thankyou

From what I can see it does resemble fowl pox. Their is two forms, Dry & Wet. Wet pox will develop yellow canker type lesions in the inside of their mouth, dry pox just gets the poxs and unthriftyness. Oxine rinse is helpful with the lesions. Supportive care for either one, do not expose to other birds. It is carried by mosiquitos from bird to bird or fluids etc. It is a slow mover so Vacc. your other birds is recommended. Search some of the older posts on this matter and their is a med. that some people found helpful. Tylan or La 200 or in worse cases Baytril is helpful. Good luck with your birdies

yes that looks like (dry) pox...separate well away from the "healthy" birds and provide separate waterer/feeders and keep a vigilant eye out for more victims and separate them as soon as you see those lesions. Treat the lesions with iodine or betadine daily and keep those waterers clean.

hi guys
thanks for the replies......

is it safe to eat victims of fowlpox eggs???????????????

skinned meat???

ermm what happens when u eat the meat of a chicken with pox then?

disease?

hi guys

by the way i thought i might update this thread

these pics ive took.....which was about a week ago.......

those blotches on the waddles have dissapeared when i looked at the hen today!!!

if thats avian pox......surely it wouldnt be that quick.

so now ...although the pic is showing evidence of pox.........im starting to thik it was just pecking damage from the other hen.....

Back
Top Bottom