Another test for chicken experts: Pullet or Cockerel? (new8.5 wk pics)

nelli21

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 14, 2009
Hi everyone! I have a 7 and 1/2 week old chick. It has a larger comb/wattle that first appeared a week or so ago (much smaller then). But, it acts like a hen (pullet) as far as mannerisms. Low body set, no standing up tall like a cockerel.

Some pictures are blurry because mommy is "Scaredy Cat" my most anti-human chicken and the baby has learned to be scared from her. Darn it. I was able to capture baby and hold baby for some up close pictures. Btw, mommy is a foster mommy. Daddy is Light Brahma roo and biological mom is probably RIR. The baby has been named "Darth" (yes, as in Darth Vader) by my 5 year old son.

Here is a good pic of the nice comb and wattle (7.5 weeks old).
41186_sep09_070.jpg

Note the way the legs hang down, so relaxed. Pullet? The thick legs. Cockerel?
41186_sep09_067.jpg

Behavior out and about: pullet like. See stance in photo:
41186_sep09_064.jpg

An up-close shot of the top of the comb:
41186_sep09_069.jpg

I am driving my husband crazy with all my speculation. He thinks I am nuts. "Just wait- you'll know in a few weeks." He should know about my obsessive compulsiveness by now. We HAVE been married 13 years.

Anyhoo- Let the voting BEGIN!!!!!

Thanks,
Nelli

PS I have 7 hens (2 EE (the one with puffy cheeks lays the brown egg, the one without puffy cheeks lays the green egg), 1 buff orpington (our favorite!), 1 dark brahma (gorgeous!), 2 black austrolorps, 1 speckled sussex (pretty but disappointingly small eggs)) and baby hatched out by my persistently broody hen. She wanted to be a mommy SOOOOOO bad!

Last edited:
They look round to me (my hopeful & optimistic eye- we can't have a roo). I'll try and get a picture of the back feathers posted tomorrow.

Thanks,
Nelli

Cockerel - the pointy feathers won't be there at this young age - I just sold my 12 1/2 week old LB cockerel and he still had rounded sickle feathers.

Here's pics of him at 7 weeks - page 2 has pics of him at 9 weeks & of 11 weeks (when he started crowing). Your chick has a redder and larger comb with larger wattles than mine did at the same age.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=221896

OK, I went out and got pictures of the back of the baby.

41186_chick_002.jpg

41186_chick_003.jpg

I don't see any saddle feathers. Is it too early for those? I thought those were the "pointy feathers" to look for. Are the pointy feathers to look for the tail feathers?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom