another thought on these birds i got

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FrazzledMomOf3, Aug 31, 2010.

1. FrazzledMomOf3

FrazzledMomOf3 In the Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    These hens my cousin gave me, she said they are barred rock. But, when I brought them home, they just looked... different... than my barred rocks. The bodies looked a bit different, the feather color was just a bit different and the legs were very white while my barred rocks have yellow with a dark gray stripe up the front. So, I was reading up some more on leg color and I am suspecting that these two new hens are maybe silver cuckoo marans?? What do you think?? You can't really see how white her legs are in this pic, and they seem even whiter when she stands by my other hens. Her friend that appeared have leg mites, her legs look a bit better... I think i need to dip her again. Before I dipped them they were very white, too.

[​IMG]

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Songster

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I don't have any Marans (yet) so other then knowing that they have white legs I can't help much there, but my BR's legs get much lighter as they age. Do you have any idea how old these girls are?

3. FrazzledMomOf3

Aug 26, 2010
    no, i don't know how old they are. My cousin got them from my other cousin who got them from someone else. I think one of them is laying, but sporadically.

4. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    could be Dominique?

5. FrazzledMomOf3

Aug 26, 2010
    it sounds like dominique are a rose combed version of a barred rock. Her comb is definitely not a rose comb

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Songster

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: