Another tractor supply duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kmlj9491, Feb 19, 2014.

1. kmlj9491

kmlj9491 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2014
    Can anyone tell me What might have caused this? Could it have gotten its neck broken during shipping? It moves its head around but it walks like the picture shows and it just does circles[​IMG]

2. TeriHarmon

TeriHarmon Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2014
    I've heard others say their chicks get this. Its caused by a vitamin deficiency and is fixable. Sorry, I can't remember what vitamin. Might want to look in the chicken forums.

3. toowoombapekins

toowoombapekins Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2013
    Toowoomba, Australia
    I think there was another thread on this in this section

I believe it was a vitamin thing and the owner sorted it out by putting supplements in their food.
    Maybe do a search, or hopefully one of the people that helped out in the other thread will see this one

4. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

Niacin deficiency possibly? Infant's (the human kind) polyvisol who added extra iron can be given straight. You can buy plain niacin tablets and crush it up to add to their water. Or cou can get brewer's yeast and sprinkle it on their food.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Niacin and thiamine deficiencies keep turning up on the forum.

So, as I recently wrote (to save time here)

May be a niacin deficiency caused by feeding chick starter.

Start on 150 mg niacin (from a capsule - do not use timed release or no-flush kind, just plain niacin) in each gallon of drinking water for 8 weeks. Results may be seen overnight, to within a week.

I am beginning to think about suggesting B complex because that includes thiamine, another B vitamin. Storey's Guide 1st Edition specifically recommends niacin (B3). But I have read here that thiamine deficiency also causes problems with ducklings.

Anyway, get the little on niacin, at least, right away.

If you cannot find it, use a tablespoon of brewer's yeast sprinkled on the food once daily.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I know amazing isn't it, wish we'd hear from them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by