Another Turken "Mystery"

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by notreadyforthis, Feb 9, 2014.

1. notreadyforthis

notreadyforthis New Egg

Nov 22, 2013
    Attached (I hope!) is the turken we received as a free chick from the hatchery when we got our other chicks (they offered free ones of whatever they had too many of). We called our little black chick Mystery as we knew nothing about it. We quickly determined it to be a turken, but are not sure of the gender. Based on internet searches, the size of the crown seems female, but the color seems male. Attitude also seems male. Mystery bosses the other chickens (a bit bullish) and makes this almost rooster crow, but not quite. I know absolutely nothing about Turkens, so maybe this is just their personality? Any input is great, thanks! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    He's a male. He's got those shiny feathers and some saddle feathers.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    X2 he is male, has male saddle feathers etc.

4. notreadyforthis

notreadyforthis New Egg

Nov 22, 2013
    Poo. I didn't want any roosters.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    He's male.

For future reference, the free chicks is almost always male. Very, very rarely it's female, but if you really don't want roosters, it's best not to play the odds and just opt out on the freebie.

Good thing is, being an unusual breed, you should be able to find a good home for him.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  6. notreadyforthis

notreadyforthis New Egg

Nov 22, 2013
    Thank you so much everyone.

donrae, I assumed as much so when we as a family decided to agree to the free bird it was with the understanding that we would get rid of any roosters.

Unfortunately, for reasons beyond my comprehension, my son has become really attacked to this bird. My husband is ready to make it a fact of life about where food comes from, but I'm not sure I have the heart. He is a weirdly handsome bird...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by