Another what are we post ;) - all bantams - 3 more further down

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GoneHomeGrown, Sep 27, 2010.

1. GoneHomeGrown

GoneHomeGrown Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Ok, most of my bantams came from a mixed lot, so I had no idea what I was getting. They are from a feed store and therefore large hatchery birds. I know they are not the highest quality, but the girls are here for the job of being broodies for me later on. I want to try both incubating and letting my little girls hatch out for me. That said, I need some help verifying some of them to weed out the extra boys. They are all between 3 and 5 months old and I have 3 egg layers so far.

1. I know this guy is a roo and am pretty sure he is a Cochin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Silky, but am not sure if hen or roo. I have not caught it crowing and the waddles are smaller than the silky that has shown himself to be a roo but are more prevelant than the third Silky, which seems to have none at all.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. I think Japanese. Though the pictures dont show it, this bird carries itself very much like the Japanese bantams in the breed photos. I initialy thought hen but am unsure lately.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  2. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    #1 I am pretty sure is a Light Brahma Roo
    #2 Looks like a white silkie Roo
    #3 I am pretty sure is a black tailed white japanese hen

3. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    The first one is a Light Brahma. The Silkie looks like a rooster, too. I think you're right that the last one is a Japanese and I think hen.

4. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:X3

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  5. GoneHomeGrown

Jul 12, 2010
    Thank you so far. I was trying to add these 3 when my computer stuck its tongue out at me and refused to go on.

4. This and the next are my favorites color wise and I have no idea on breeds for them. I intially thought hen on this one as well and have started to think otherwise.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. I am pretty sure hen.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. This last guy is Napolean an is the one staying for now as the flock roo. I am sure he is a Game, but which kind do you all think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. GoneHomeGrown

Jul 12, 2010
    Wow, I can see Light Brahma now that you all have said it. The biggest difference that I see after looking at the 2 breeds is the comb. Is there anything else glaring at me different?

7. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    I agree with what was mentioned about the top three. As for the others
    1) Porcelain D'Uncle hen
    2) Easter Egger hen
    3) Silver Duckwing Old English Game Bantam Rooster

8. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Quote:X2

9. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Quote:X2

x3, except its D'Uccle, not D'Uncle [​IMG]

Talking about the differences in the Brahmas and Cochins; Brahmas tend to stand up taller, they don't have as much profuse, fluffy feathering as the Cochins and less feathering on the legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by