Another "What Breed and Gender is This?" Thread... help... Please?

cajunsis

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
Seriously, do you all ever get tired of these threads?

I am a new chicken mom and I have tried for hours and hours to go through your threads and figure out what kind of chickens I have. I have had no luck - and it is wasting so much of my time, I figure if I don't get off of here, my dear hubby just might let me have my chickens in place of him!

Like other people, I got mine at Atwood's and I have no clue what I ended up with. I finally gave in and decided to ask you - hopefully your experience will save my marriage! ;-) I hope you don't mind. I have 18 total, but today I will just introduce you to 10. The others will come later... I was hoping for all pullets... ha!

Ella:

Sophia:

Charlotte (black with white face and black legs) and Lulu (brown and white)

Shirley:

Different view of Shirley - she has olive legs:

Laverne - a very sleek looking chicken:

Different view of Laverne:

Verne - was originally Laverne, but I think he turned into a (male) Verne. ;-)
This is not Laverne - just to clarify,

Ellie:

Poor Alli... Well, the name is Alli, but Alli seems to be having problems getting pretty feathers in... I have 3 of this breed. All of them are overly friendly and have to be in the middle of the action. Allie is my tattle tale - if it is happening, Alli is squawking for me to come see!

Closer look at poor Alli:

BIG Bertha:
All of my chickens here are 2-ish months old. Bertha doubled in size immediately. She is much bigger in relation to the other chicks. I suspected she was a buff orphington, but people with buffs don't think so... which leaves me with "what the heck is she?"

Thank you all so much for opening your hearts and helping us new chicken mommies figure out what our babies are. I can't imagine life without "Backyard Chickens"!

I promise, I have spent hours trying to do this on my own without asking for help!

Just wait until you see the chicken coop my hubby built for my flock!

Thanks!
Euvah (YOU-vuh)

Welcome! I enjoyed your post immensely! I am a newbie and I agree you have some tricky ones in that lot to identify. My best guesses is that Ella and Ellie look like a Gold Sex Link and Lulu might be a Red Sex Link. I agree that Bertha looks a lot like my Buff Orpington. Hopefully you get some feedback from the experts and I am really curious as well.

Ella-Gold Sex Link
Sofia- ? no clue but very pretty
Charlotte- ?
Lulu- Red Sex Link
Shirly- Black Sex Link
Laverne- Welsummer
Verne- Welsummer Roo
Ellie- Gold Sex Link
Alli- Dark Cornish (I think)
Bertha- Buff Orpington

Oh my gosh! Thanks to both of you! I think you are right! Thank you, thank you!

I agree - Alli definitely looks like that dark cornish - their beaks are very distinct.

I think you are both great!

Thanks again!
Euvah

Is it too early to tell if the others are male/female?

I hope you aren't laughing at this new chicken mom... wait! I think you are!

Wow, Euvah, You really got some answers on here and I have the same problem you have so I am gonna try for some help too. I have four Chicks about 2 months old also and have no clue what they are other than chickens LOL. Can anyone help us identify them?? And when the heck am I gonna know if they are girls or boys?????
D.gif

This is Puddy-Tat. The white and gray one in the front.

This is Mabel, she (at least I call them all She) is black and white...Her legs are yellow.

This is Fluffy, she has a fluffy butt and fluffy cheeks.....

This is Harriet, she is solid black with gray colored legs.... hope this helps some.
The geese in the background are Ricky and Fred our Chinese crested. Lucy is nesting.... Hoping for some babies in about 28 days.
Thanks for any help
Hope and Jeff
The Newbies

Last edited:
I am asking the same questions. So don't feel bad. Its so exciting to find out. I feel silly but can't wait to know what I have.
We were incubating three dewlap toulouse goose eggs and lost all three
hit.gif
So, we are focusing on the chickens and the geese we have. Its all a learning process. Hard to think how farmers did this so long ago without so much help from so many other people. LOL Glad I have Back Yard Chickens to help me.

Seriously, do you all ever get tired of these threads?

I am a new chicken mom and I have tried for hours and hours to go through your threads and figure out what kind of chickens I have. I have had no luck - and it is wasting so much of my time, I figure if I don't get off of here, my dear hubby just might let me have my chickens in place of him!

Like other people, I got mine at Atwood's and I have no clue what I ended up with. I finally gave in and decided to ask you - hopefully your experience will save my marriage! ;-) I hope you don't mind. I have 18 total, but today I will just introduce you to 10. The others will come later... I was hoping for all pullets... ha!

Ella:

Sex-Link Pullet

Sophia:

Handsome young man, breed, not sure

Charlotte (black with white face and black legs) and Lulu (brown and white)

Charlotte, could be Black Australorp or Jersey Giant. Lulu - Sex-Link

Shirley:

Black Sex-Link? Pullet if it is a sex-link

Different view of Shirley - she has olive legs:

Laverne - a very sleek looking chicken:

Different view of Laverne:

Either Welsummer or Brown Leghorn pullet

Verne - was originally Laverne, but I think he turned into a (male) Verne. ;-)
This is not Laverne - just to clarify,

Cute boy!

Ellie:

Sex-Link Pullet

Poor Alli... Well, the name is Alli, but Alli seems to be having problems getting pretty feathers in... I have 3 of this breed. All of them are overly friendly and have to be in the middle of the action. Allie is my tattle tale - if it is happening, Alli is squawking for me to come see!

Closer look at poor Alli:

Agree with Dark Cornish, possible slow developing cockerel

BIG Bertha:
All of my chickens here are 2-ish months old. Bertha doubled in size immediately. She is much bigger in relation to the other chicks. I suspected she was a buff orphington, but people with buffs don't think so... which leaves me with "what the heck is she?"

Buff Orp - cockerel

Thank you all so much for opening your hearts and helping us new chicken mommies figure out what our babies are. I can't imagine life without "Backyard Chickens"!

I promise, I have spent hours trying to do this on my own without asking for help!

Just wait until you see the chicken coop my hubby built for my flock!

Thanks!
Euvah (YOU-vuh)

My guesses.

Last edited:
Shirley
Spice (on the left) Spice is an Easter Egger pullet. I think she looks similar to Shirley.

I think Big Bertha (Big Bert) is a buff Orpinton and Ellie & Ella are sex links.

Shirley is 100% Black sex link pullet. I've raised hundreds of them, some just have more red leaching than others. Her leg color is normal for a BSL, yellow under a dark wash.
I wouldn't write Sofia off as a Roo just yet, her comb is not red and she only has tiny wattles. I'd wait to make a decision later. Some pullets develop early.

Back
Top Bottom