1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another "What is this chick?" deal . . .

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fowltemptress, Mar 23, 2009.

1. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    I never thought I'd ask a "What is this chick?" question, but . . . well, what is this chick? I recently hatched a bunch of chicks, and due to poor planning I gave away all but one. I picked up this chick at TSC to keep my lone chick company. I know my TSC gets its chicks from Ideal Poultry, and the chick has a single comb and has the skinniest build I've ever seen on a chick. I'm usually drawn to loose feathered, hugable looking chickens, so this skinny little non fluffy thing is rather foreign to me. Based on Ideal's website I was thinking Dutch, old English, or modern bantams, but I'm having the hardest time finding pictures of the chicks of those breeds to compare.

Okay, my opening is getting a little long winded . . . I'll move on to the picture now . . .

[​IMG]

It actually looks fluffier in the picture . . . I guess it's true about cameras adding weight. [​IMG]

2. Big Red

Big Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Paradise
    fowltemptress, It's looks to be an Old English Game. I have 5 of those that look like that one and their parents are old OEG.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  3. fowltemptress

Jan 20, 2008
    Oh goody! That was one of my guesses . . . thank you so much. [​IMG]

4. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    Big Red...I love the sign behind your baby! [​IMG]

5. Big Red

Jan 12, 2009
    Paradise
    Quote:Your welcome. Glad i was able to help.[​IMG]

6. Big Red

Jan 12, 2009
    Paradise
    Quote:melissastraka, i thought it was hilarious!! Lol...thanks.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I love how FULL that little crop is!

So there is no way that it is a Delaware or a Columbian Rock?

8. fowltemptress

Jan 20, 2008
    Nope. Ideal doesn't offer those as bantams, and even if they did and I missed it somehow this little guy is fully half the size of the silkie chick it's in with. I'm sure bantam Delawares or rocks would make a larger sized chick. I crossed off all the "large" bantam breeds right away . . . it sure helped to narrow the possibilities list down.

That crop does make it look like it's about to fall forward onto its face, doesn't it? [​IMG]

9. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    A Domino's Pizza Box!!!! Lovely!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by