Another "What size coop, for X amount of chickens" question (Sorry)

no1male

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 16, 2010
Leicester, UK
We have been reading loads on here for months, have our 4 girls moved into their pre built coop and everything seems fine.

We have now decided our coop is too small for our chickens, the run is ok-ish as they are in a 60 foot garden all day anyway but we want them to be happy when locked up.

I have done a search after search but i just want to be 100% sure that i have my calculations right as i have seen some other coops that have confused me.

45-245-large.jpg

The above coop states it is for 8 chickens but by my calculations that is way too small, or am i wrong?

For 8 chickens i have figured we need a 6 x 6 coop (Excluding the run and yes we have convinced ourselves to get 4 more chickens
wee.gif
)

Am i right? Do we take into consideration the height as well or does that not matter?

A 6x6 should be fine for 8 chooks as long as they don't have to spend a ton of time locked in without access to the run. If the run isn't covered you may have problems during long periods of bad weather with them getting cranky with each other. The height doesn't make much difference for the chickens, but really helps their two legged slaves when they need to get in there to clean. I'd run the eaves out a little farther so the run off doesn't come down on the hinge for the nest boxes, otherwise it looks like a really nice little coop.

You may also want to consider going a little larger on the coop if it makes sense for your space and budget. I think the chicken bug has already bitten you and it's nice to have the built in "extra" space when you want to add a few more. If by some miracle you don't end up getting more then 8 chooks the ones you have won't complain about any extra space.

I'm pretty sure I'm a chicken addict enabler.
big_smile.png

The height doesn't really matter. The rule of thumb that many on BYC recommend is 4 sq ft per chicken in the coop plus 10 sq ft per chicken in the run. So, I'd say that coop is too small for 8 chickens, but 6x6 is plenty. 4 sq ft may seem like a lot, but in the winter when it is cold, they will be inside more often, thus the larger space.

Also, are you sure you won't be getting more in the future? We started out with 6 and swore we wouldn't get more until we bought larger property. We have 28 hens and 2 roosters and still need that larger property!
lol.png
If you may get a few more in the future, it doesn't hurt to add a few extra sq. ft. If you don't, then they have more room in the cold winter!!

Back
Top Bottom