1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another Wine Coolerbator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CrappieSlayer34, Feb 24, 2014.

1. CrappieSlayer34

CrappieSlayer34 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2014
    Well after cruising this site for months I finally joined and started off by trying to build my own incubator. I used an old wine cooler. Seems that they are easy to use for this purpose.

I got it for 50 bucks on CL... a little more than I wanted for one but it was really nice although not working, lol.

But I used a 60 watt bulb, a thermostat from that one incubator website, a little 120v fan.

I purchased 2 auto turners, the little giant ones, and they fit perfectly on the shelves that I made. They were on sale at TSC for 40 bucks and I had a coupon for 10% off so I got a couple rather than trying to make my own turners. Probably saved a little time and maybe a little money.

Total cost on the incubator was around 175$, give or take 10 bucks. I could not buy a used incubator for that price for sure.

Been monitoring it for around an hour and it is holding steady at 99-100. Any thoughts on that? I think that should be fine.

Anyways, I have included a pic of the finished product.[​IMG]

2. Caitlin_VT

Caitlin_VT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2011
    Vermont
    Looks nice! I think if it holds steady at that temp, you should be all set. Is it that temp everywhere inside? Why did you put the fan on the bottom? I just found a wine cooler for free, but its a bit smaller than yours so I can't fit an auto turner in it.. I bought the 100 watt Incukit from Incubator Warehouse.... Now we just need to install it!

3. A roo or two

A roo or two Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2013
    Florida
    Nice! I hope you will keep us posted on how your hatch rate is and if there are anythings you would change once you have used it some.

Might have to have a new project now for the hubby [​IMG]

4. CrappieSlayer34

CrappieSlayer34 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2014
    I put the thermostat directly in the middle of the incubator, and have an exhaust hole at the top, so the fan at the bottom should be ok. I changed the light bulb to a industrial type light bulb so maybe the on and off of the light will not burn the bulb out as quick.

I will definitely keep yall posted on the hatch rates and stuff like that. I may be getting some fertile eggs this weekend, as all my girls are still just about a week and a half old,,,, along ways from having eggs around here to hatch....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by