1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another worming question.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Kassaundra, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Okay I've been reading up on worming chickens both on BYC and on google searches. I am trying to make up my mind what type of worming plan I am going to use. The chemical worming solutions seem to state needing to use it regularly every 6 months and not using the eggs for 2 wks each time which would be a total of 4 wks of no eggs every 6 months (two doses of wormer 2 wks apart), and an added problem of built up tolerence.

Then there are the "organic" worming ideas like hot peppers, DE, herbs, walnuts etc.... everytime one of those ideas is suggested there are 12 people saying its all hooey and there is no proof it works at all, and as proof it does those that use it state antecdotal "proof" so here is my question those that use the natural remedies have any of you then followed through and sent stool samples to find out if the worms were eliminated, and if so what natural thing are you using?

2. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    [​IMG]

3. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    I am interested in this as well.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    have any of you then followed through and sent stool samples to find out if the worms were eliminated,

I'm betting there are none who have done that

I worm mine with Ivomec mixed in their water, and don't worry about egg withdrawal, since Ivomec is safe for human use​

5. DTPowell

DTPowell New Egg

Nov 8, 2011
    Please let me start by saying I am still very much in the research process of chicken farming. I was raise with large chicken houses XXX years ago and hear the call to return to nature. Have you considered Diatomaceous Earth? It is available at my local feed store in 50 lb bag for $36.99. You just add it to the feed and it will shread any and all worms. Also it is in the recipe for making dust bowls for chickens to control mites. It is likely you will find the powder forms just call the manufactor yourself to be sure it is FOOD GRADE. Some other forms have high levels of arcinic. Those are less common now.
    Happy Chickens, DTPowell

6. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    DE is very controversial as to if it works at all for internal parasites, that was the point of getting the answer to the question, has anyone who used these alternative choices actually followed up w/ a stool test specifially for parasites.

As to DE specifially it is my understanding like boric acid it works when dry, after ingestion it would no longer be dry. I am not saying it doesn't work, b/c I don't know. I could understand it working better on the body lice/mite problem. But here too I have some questions. If you put it in their dust bath area, they roll around in it then shake it off a large dust cloud is around them and they kick up the dust w/ their heads right in it, then they breathe all those sharp little particles that are sharp enough to "tear up worms" could tear up delicate lung tissue?

So here is where I am w/ it, the worming medications we KNOW work. They aren't overtly harmful to the chickens, they are inconvenient to use (as far as not using the eggs). Parasites could build up a tolerance (and probably will/have)

The "natural, alternatives" may or may not work, may or may not be harmful to the chickens, but you don't have to worry about egg consumption. People choose this for ideological reasons, no chemicals organic etc..... which I know I personally take medications when I need them and would give them to my chickens if they needed.

I don't like the idea of worming on a set schedule w/o regard to wether they have worms or not, is there anyway of knowing w/o a stool sample?

It was my understanding that Ivomec only works on round worms, not on all the others they could have?

Oh and something else, are the chance of getting worms lessened w/ the more area they have or if they free range then if they are in the same run all the time?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  7. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

You could see how much your vet charges to do a fecal sample, shouldn't be much. Also, a lot of horse people are sending their samples to Horseman's Labratory online. I wonder if they take chicken samples? It's the same test, I don't see why they wouldn't.
    I'm with you on the reservations. For over twenty years I never wormed anyone. My birds free ranged so they weren't crowded and never seemed wormy. Recently, because I have them penned here in AZ, I decided to start worming them. They aren't laying yet so I figured I'd worm now and then next summer when they slow down laying due to heat.
    I used Ivomec. Was very, very careful in dosing it orally. Well, apparently Egyptians, and to a lesser extent, Buttercups, don't tolerate Ivomec as well as other chickens. They had severe overdose symptoms. The other chickens were fine except for the chickens in these two breeds. Two of the Egyptians had seizures and one was literally in a coma for 48 hours. She actually survived, to my amazement!
    Now I'm afraid to ever use wormer again! I may just go back to my old ways, they get lots of squash and pumpkin seeds, which is supposed to help.

8. Beckyhsinglsc

Beckyhsinglsc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    My Coop
    Quote:I would also like to know the answer to this question!
    I just found tapeworm segments in an egg!![​IMG]
    I HAVE to do something. Valbazen is the recommended de-wormer for tape, but I also found this from last year:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=403372
    Has anyone tried this for tapeworm?

(Hi Tracy)

9. Bear Foot Farm

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Have you considered Diatomaceous Earth? It is available at my local feed store in 50 lb bag for $36.99. You just add it to the feed and it will shread any and all worms.

No, it won't, since it doesn't work if wet​

10. Bear Foot Farm

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by