Anotther hatching question!

brushycreek

In the Brooder
7 Years
Twocrowsranch, just wanted to thank you for all the great advice you have given me. I really enjoy your posts and they are very helpful. I was wondering if the hatched chicks rolling the eggs around creates a problem with the unhatched eggs. Should I try annd remove the chicks before they completly dry? Also is it normal for the bator to fog (almost dripping)? Should I bring the humidity down some? This is my second hatch and just want to make sure I do everything right to get the highest hatch rate as possible.......

Twocrowsranch, just wanted to thank you for all the great advice you have given me. I really enjoy your posts and they are very helpful. I was wondering if the hatched chicks rolling the eggs around creates a problem with the unhatched eggs. Should I try annd remove the chicks before they completly dry? Also is it normal for the bator to fog (almost dripping)? Should I bring the humidity down some? This is my second hatch and just want to make sure I do everything right to get the highest hatch rate as possible.......
If its not a staggered hatch you should be fine!! Wait I see the date!!! How did the hatch go?? Come over and join us in https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/704328/diary-notes-air-cell-detatched-shipped-eggs say hello and share some pics and stories!!

summary of the thread is https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Thanks so much for your reply! We are at day 19 with one chick hatched. This seems to be the hatch from hell! Had 2 other pips but pulled them when I removed the chick and both were dead in the shell. My fan is really squeaking bad and quits sometime and had a real problem maintaining even a 50% humidity. First hatch the fan didn't give me as much problem and didn't have humidity problem.. Guess thats what I get for buying a used bator! Hopefully will get a few more out of this hatch. Little fellow looks really lonely in the brooder!

Thanks so much for your reply! We are at day 19 with one chick hatched. This seems to be the hatch from hell! Had 2 other pips but pulled them when I removed the chick and both were dead in the shell. My fan is really squeaking bad and quits sometime and had a real problem maintaining even a 50% humidity. First hatch the fan didn't give me as much problem and didn't have humidity problem.. Guess thats what I get for buying a used bator! Hopefully will get a few more out of this hatch. Little fellow looks really lonely in the brooder!
I highly suggest making a cooler bator!!! there is the link to the stuff I saved when we made ours in my signature below, its chaos as I didnt clean the info up yet, but SO SO EASY CHEAP and works awesome!!!

But must do the wafer thermostat instead of hot water one, and double lamps like we did just in case one blows, you dont loose a hatch and the cheap fans on ebay, come in packs of two, so if one would happen to go, you got another!!! That bator holds humidity as well as heat w/in one or less degree!!! I hate my styro bator!!!!! JUNK!! cheapest crap they build them out of too!! my fan would squeal and then shut off and ugggg a mess!!! the heat was so darn touchy and took forever to get it to hold a temp too!!!

Again links in my signature, harmony just had a 100% hatch with local eggs in the new cooler bator too!! I hope you come over and say hello and pop in and out of the thread on occation!!! there is a young gal on with us and she is a good one to share our experiences with and knowledge!!!

I am glad one hatched though!!!!

Sally Sunshine.....Thanks so much for the info and link. I haven't posted that much but your the first person that has answered any of my questions. Will most def. build my own bator. Still no chicks, humidity is way down and have put in sponges and see no change. Will wait one more day and then do some eggtopsies. Named the chick Uno seems to be doing well eating,drinking and pooping!

Have to say for a "new egg" haven't done to bad with my quail (Coturnix) up to 42....30 hens and 12 roos got a 100% laying rate most days. Thanks again for ttaking the time to answer my questions. Wish I could say I hatched them all but did buy some breeding stock from Steller and a guy locally. Wanted to get all my stock from Steller but just got to hot to get chicks shipped. Will let you know the outcome. A little disappointed since my first hatch went so well. Guess ya win some and lose some!!....Later my friend!

Sally Sunshine.....Thanks so much for the info and link. I haven't posted that much but your the first person that has answered any of my questions. Will most def. build my own bator. Still no chicks, humidity is way down and have put in sponges and see no change. Will wait one more day and then do some eggtopsies. Named the chick Uno seems to be doing well eating,drinking and pooping!

Have to say for a "new egg" haven't done to bad with my quail (Coturnix) up to 42....30 hens and 12 roos got a 100% laying rate most days. Thanks again for ttaking the time to answer my questions. Wish I could say I hatched them all but did buy some breeding stock from Steller and a guy locally. Wanted to get all my stock from Steller but just got to hot to get chicks shipped. Will let you know the outcome. A little disappointed since my first hatch went so well. Guess ya win some and lose some!!....Later my friend!
Let me know when you start your bator and set some eggs.... you can pm me or just come over and say hello in the thread!!! sooner or later I will clean up that bator info LOL but hey at least its all there right?? LOL
highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom