ANSWER to WHY UR CHICKENS STOP LAYIN IN the WINTER

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Courtney R, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Courtney R

Courtney R Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2012
    Florida
    A couple of pl say that their chickenz stop layin inthe winter... its cuz layin the egg takes alot out of them, physically. Also in the winter their is less of a chance of the chicks surviving during the winter so they slow down. And when they lay it takes out nutrients and such, which they especially need during the winter

2. lookyhereboy

lookyhereboy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Drury, MO
    Agreed. I just started raising chickens this past spring. I have 4 Leghorn hens. They started laying at 4.5 weeks and once they started rolling it was a nice 4 eggs a day. With the on set of late fall into winter they are slowing down. Nothing has changed other than the weather and seasonal reduction of sunlight. Now I am getting 2 to 3 a day. I figure if they continue through winter and I get 1 a day during that time I will be happy.

3. Courtney R

Nov 10, 2012
    Florida
    Thnx 4 agreeing w/ me, and good luck w/ ur chickens[​IMG]

4. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Also, there is less light. Chickens need at least 14 hours of light to lay. This is because light stimulates a special gland in a chickens eye that engages the egg laying system. :)

5. Courtney R

Nov 10, 2012
    Florida
    oh ok, Nice to kno :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by