ant invasion

seminolewind

Flock Mistress
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Sep 6, 2007
Corydon, Indiana
We woke up yesterday morning to a house full of ants, there were hundreds of them. We found where they were coming in, and sealed up all the crevices. Then last night at bedtime I noticed hundreds of ants again! I was up till three oclock in the morning vacuuming up ants and finding a new entry. I did, so I plastered that too, then sprinkled boric acid all along the outside. So far, so good. Yes, we have an ant problem, and outside you can't sit on the ground anywhere. I don't know what to put down in the yard that won't hurt the chickens. I don't know what to fertilize with that won't hurt the chickens. Suggestions?

I have read you can sprinkle plain old cornmeal all over the ground were there are ants and they will take it back to the nest and share it...supposedly they can't digest it and it kills them.

Not sure about the ant poison cause my chickens are around my house.
I did the cornmeal thing, and the ants diminished over a period of 3 weeks, and gone. Now they are by the other screen door. Probably different ones. But where I need to put cornmeal is where it gets wet.
Coffee grinds? Worth a try, no shortage of coffee grinds here, LOL
I know they don't like clorox, but I don't know if that's permanent.
I am using boric acid right now, and I'm finding dead ants all over outside my patio doors. I got the boric acid in Walgreens.

Back
Top Bottom