ant problem? Try this, it really works

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kareninthesun, Jul 24, 2011.

1. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    a business card or like weight/sized peice of paper

in the middle of it, place a spoonful of DARK molasses

Sprinkle DRY granular yeast over that

place it where ever you find ant trails.

What happens: the ants are after the molasses, and take the grains of yeast back to the nest. The ants eat. The yeast starts working, and they blow up.

When my children were young, convinced them that if they put their ear to the ground and were very, very quiet, they'd hear them explode. [​IMG]

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Cute part about the kids! I will put this out for the nasty ants that bite me.They deserve to blow up!

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Try this, it really works

LOL

Sure it does........except for the fact ants can't swallow solid particles

http://www.walterreeves.com/insects-and-animals/fire-ant-control-grits/

Dr. Beverly Sparks, entomology professor at the University of Georgia, has been studying fire ant control for 20 years. She knows what works and what does not. “Fire ants do not explode from eating grits. The worker ants can’t even eat solid food. They have to carry solid particles back to their nest so the larval ants can chew them up and make liquid food.

“The larval ants don’t explode because they break down the solid food into such small pieces before it goes to their digestive systems. They regurgitate the food for consumption by the worker ants.”​

4. kareninthesun

Jul 1, 2011
    These aren't fire ants. I live in southern CA and glad we dont have them! This works on whatever type of little black annoying stinkers that make trails into my house or in the yard. They don't really explode, but it does work.

5. Czech's_chicks

Czech's_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    I've always used boric acid mixed with jelly. Mix it up and suck it into straws then cut the straws up and put in the trails or near the holes. BA is a dessicant and will dry them out and kill them. You can also sprinkle on carpet to help with flea problems.

6. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

worth a try. [​IMG]

7. kareninthesun

Jul 1, 2011
    There's plenty of info if you do a google search for organic. I think the key is remembering that organics break down faster depending on the season changes. Also, just because it's organic doesn't mean it's safe for pets. I imagine if chickens got ahold of it, might be pretty uncomfortable since the yeast is live. I stopped using a tea of horseradish/mint and hot peppers on the garden after hearing that hot peppers are poisonous to chickens. Might be a little too temping sprayed in a veggie or fruit they are attracted to.

I hear lion/tiger manure is a great deterrent if spread around the perimeter of property for keeping non winged preditors at bay.

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    These aren't fire ants. I live in southern CA and glad we dont have them! This works on whatever type of little black annoying stinkers that make trails into my house or in the yard. They don't really explode, but it does work

They don't explode?

You said that is what kills them

The yeast starts working, and they blow up.

Ants are pretty much ants, and there are lots of "organic" methods that supposedly work, but never any real proof that they do.

There IS proof they don't work most of the time, and there's nothing toxic about yeasts nor molasses​

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  9. annep

annep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    I totally forgot about that..I used to use it all the time..thanks for the reminder

10. annep

annep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Czech's_chicks :

I've always used boric acid mixed with jelly. Mix it up and suck it into straws then cut the straws up and put in the trails or near the holes. BA is a dessicant and will dry them out and kill them. You can also sprinkle on carpet to help with flea problems.

Wish I could do that, because I know it works, but too many littles and chickens around...​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by