Ant problems

Sorry newbie here, first batch in incubator. But chickens dont eat ants? I was thinking they would help with the ant problem in my yard.

My chickens eat ants when they feel like it but they don't control them. I've been dealing with lines of ants in the coop. I have it under control now but I keep checking.

Do you have Total Mite Kill in the US? The active ingredient in that is permethrin....exactly what ant powder is made from but in a handy spray that also kills the dreaded red mite.

If you are talking about the ants being in the outdoor area of your coop rather than in the house, if you dig their nest over a few times and/or pour boiling water on it, they will move on of their own accord to a 'safer' place.

Incidentally, why are the ants a problem? They don't harm your birds or make any significant dent on food. Is it just because you find them unpleasant? Or are they nastier ants than we get here in Blighty?

Last edited:
They are really unpleasant and there isn't a place in the coop where you can't find them. It looks like the floor is moving there are so many. Wouldn't they be uncomfortable with that many ants?

Back
Top Bottom