Antacids

goose321

Songster
6 Years
Sep 11, 2017
Hello I am trying to find a good antacid medication to give my goose for what we believe is pill enduced esophagitis. She is having trouble swallowing her feed since giving her an antibiotic tablet down her throat. I am looking for an over the counter antacid that will work however there are so many different ones out there and I don’t know if they are all safe for use on waterfowl. I have Zantac 150mg and Alka-Seltzer pain reliever + Antacid on hand however can get any common over the counter medications you recommend. Have any of you ever given your duck/goose/chicken an antacid or know of any one that is safe to use. So far I have found out that sucralfate is safe to use however it is prescription and my vets is not open today.

It seems to me that you just need a coating type medication, since a birds digestive system is completely different from a humans. Basically the bird has a swollen, inflamed, irritated esophagus (from getting a pill stuck), so why would you want to give another pill, especially one designed to reduce stomach acid secretions and or prevent reflux in humans? I would avoid any aspirin compounds as they are acidic themselves. Perhaps you can just dampen some crumble food and mix it with a little vegetable oil or egg yolk to help it go down a little easier?

I found another thread for some time back that a chicken owner was instructed to give some Maalox to her chicken. That might work for your goose until tomorrow. Be careful in giving it as I stated in the other thread. Then you can call your vet for further instructions in the AM.

the use of anti-inflammatories or aspirin in poultry or fowl.
I agree that Maalox might be helpful in this situation, but I would avoid aspirin (though it is safe to use for poultry) it would not be appropriate for this situation, and might make it worse, due to the fact that it is an acidic compound. Be conservative in your treatment so you don't make it worse.

Back
Top Bottom