Anti-biotics & Sour Crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by robinwiththechickens, Feb 7, 2012.

1. robinwiththechickens

robinwiththechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Riverton, Wyoming
    We recently adopted a full grown (age unknown) RIR hen. She seems to have something new wrong with her almost every week. She came to us about 6 weeks ago, at the tail-end of a hard molt. Then she appeared to be egg bound for about 3 days, before she finally laid a big, weird, torpedo egg the day after a warm bath. Next we discoverd she had lice, so she got dusted with Sevin. Last week, we noticed she was wheezing, so we added duramycin-10 to her water. Now she has sour crop. I have been making her vomit twice a day before feeding her. She is being dropper fed plain greek yogurt, unsweetened applesauce, and boiled egg yolks.

She still seems fairly bright-eyed and as curious as ever, although she does sleep a lot, and her comb looks kind of purple and droopy. She's quite sweet, and we'd hate to lose her.

My question is this:

Should I stop the anti-biotics? Is it counteracting the yogurt?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. oldorchardfarms

oldorchardfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    woodstock
    give her a little apple cider viniger in her water,and stick with the yogurt,purple comb means,something vascular going on maybe she is just to old and her heart may be giving up,hope she pulls through for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by